Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoor Neps finally comming around

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glider,

They all adjusted differently, if you judge by time to make new pitchers then the miranda hybrids have been the slowest and the macfarlanei x ventricosa was the fastest. Keep in mind that most of them spent the majority of the winter outdoors.

They get a few hours of direct sun in the early morning. By 11 am they are all in bright shade. Temps range anywhere from the 70's to the 100's daytime and generally low 60's or 50's nighttime. Humidity can be as low as the teens on hot days, but usually picks up at night, average is about 30-40% in summer daytime.

Winter temps are chilly for Neps. Generally 50's and 60's for daytime highs and overnight lows average in the 30's - 40's. Peaks can go as low as the teens in a cold spell and 80s in a warm spell.. California weather can be quite strange from time to time.

This year I plan to have a portable greenhouse to overwinter my Neps in. Hopefully that will keep them from reacting so poorly to the cold.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work Steve! We need more people pushing the boundaries on growing these plants. You could probably give them even more direct sun. Mine get sun until noonish. I got tired of trying to acclimate Miranda outdoors and just stuck it in my mini-greenhouse. Maybe I'll take it back out now that it is summer. I shudder to think how your Neps will react in winter. Most of mine slow down or even stop growing and I'm in southern California with average temps at least 10 degrees higher and no nights below freezing. Good growing and keep us posted.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (srduggins @ July 12 2006,9:33)]Good work Steve! We need more people pushing the boundaries on growing these plants. You could probably give them even more direct sun. Mine get sun until noonish. I got tired of trying to acclimate Miranda outdoors and just stuck it in my mini-greenhouse. Maybe I'll take it back out now that it is summer. I shudder to think how your Neps will react in winter. Most of mine slow down or even stop growing and I'm in southern California with average temps at least 10 degrees higher and no nights below freezing. Good growing and keep us posted.
    Yayyy.. my hosting site is finally up and running again so now you can see all the earlier photos.

Steve, as you can see now, my plants did not like wintertime here at all. All existing pitchers dried up almost immediately and the whole plant basicly shut down for several months. On the plus side, the 2 that I experimented with by leaving them out in the yard survived just fine and in fact those 2 were the faster to bounce back when spring finally decided to arrive this year.

This fall I plan to buy one of those small greenhouse shelf deals with the plastic cover to put my Neps into when the cold weather returns. Hopefully that will do the trick to keep them at least growing, if not pitchering.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12