Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Neps finally comming around

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually an update on some plants I picked up last October. See thread here: Home Depot Neps. I have kept these plants outdoors since I got them and as you can clearly see by all the mangled growth, they did not appreciate me for that at all. With spring/summer in full swing here now, they are finally comming back to some resemblance of what a Nep should look like. If growth continues at this rate I hope to see pitchers developing within the next few weeks (I hope I hope I hope....)

Enjoy
    Steve

There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to see that your Neps are coming around! I have a few Neps that have experienced similar mangled growth because I placed them under more light and heat than they were used to. Hopefully mine start growing soon, just like yours!

Please post more pictures once they begin to pitcher

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, Is that webbing on the leaves?? It's esspacialy noticeable in the last picture at the base of the new leaves and in the 4th and 5th pictures. You might give it a thorough going over if it is. It resembles webbing left by spidermites. They would also cause distorted leaves and stunted growth.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain on the mangled growth! I put some of my tollerant neps outside a few weeks ago, and I guess I put them somewhere with TOO much sun. oops.

I had New York Fried Neps (kinda like KFC) when I returned from vaca a week later.

Not to mention, we then had a cold spell - several nights into the 30's.

At least they didn't croak! Might be a while before they're display-worthy again, though!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    getting closer! i likey!
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well dang.. looks like my main hosting site is down.. the dead photo links will work as soon as it comes back up.

Anyway, here is an update on my outdoor grown Neps. With the warmer weather they are taking off and pitchering like gangbusters.

Enjoy
    Steve

Edit: Steve, yes that is webbing you see on those leaves, but its just a common garden spider and not mites. I seem to have an abundance of spiders in my yard this year. As you can see in the following pictures, the plant is making nice healthy looking leaves now that the weather is nicer.

First up is N. macfarlanei x ventricosa. Every leaf this plant has made has pitchered for me since I moved it outside.

And a closer view of the pitchers.

Here is one of the unknown Home Depot plants from the original thread. It has been suggested that it is N. ventrata.

Here is a closer view of one of the pitchers. This plant has been shooting off new growth from between the leaves and making new pitchers non-stop since about the middle of April.

The next few shots are also from the Home Depot plants above. I am told that they are some kind of N. miranda hybrids. The first pitchers are forming now on both plants so I hope soon to get a positive ID (and cool pitchers to look at).

There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally, here is my N. ventricosa 'Red'. This plant has an interesting habit of hiding its pitchers in the shade of its leaves. Maybe they are just shy.

Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just wondering...about how long did it take for your neps to adjust to the outside? how much light do you have them in?
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast