What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, so I kind of a newb here. I've loved plants my whole life, and always been intrigued by the venus flytrap. However, growing up in Oklahoma, I never had ideal humidity, or even survivable humidity for the that matter. I moved to Seattle when I was old enough to, and now, I finally, at 23, purchased my first trap. And to my surprise it was actually two. I seperated them as soon as I got them, because I had already purchased the Savage Garden a long time ago, and am, somewhat knowledgable. Anyway, with the traps, I got 30 free mixed Drosera seeds. I sowed them immediately, forgetting about stratification. Anyway, that's been almost two months, and my flytraps are still well and healthy. So, I purchased a Nep Rafflesiana about three weeks ago. I bought it off of ebay, cause I wanted to see if I COULD do it, before I spent mega bucks on one. Shortly after receiving the plant, the very small two working pitchers fell off, as the soil was FAR too dry when I received it. (I repotted it immediately after receiving it, but, too far too gone, I guess). So now, I have refitted my smaller aquarium and bought a much larger one. I'm not even sure how big. I have three 6000k/1360 lum fluorescent lights which are about 7-8 inches from most of the plants, but about 5 in. away from my Nep. One of the leaves was almost turning yellow before I got this new setup going. (they've been in the new tank for almost 5 days) So, I just wanted some advice on the health of my plant. I'm a complete newb when it comes to Neps, but I love my Raff so much. Also, are my flytraps going to coincide well? Below are pics, along with my temp and humid guage. Any ideas about the lighting? And that one trap, it's got a weird indentation on it? What is that?

Picture088.jpg

Picture092.jpg

Picture093.jpg

a9b37f59.jpg

Picture091.jpg

cbaaa44a.jpg

Any advice at all will help tons. Thanks!

Alright, first off you need to get rid of the water line in your terrarium. Neps dont like to sit in water.

Next up, VFT's dont need high humidity and they do best outside in lots of sun. Just as it was for me when I started, you WANT to grow them inside but they do SOOOO much better outside.

What matters the most with any artificial lighting setup is how many total watts are you putting on those plants. So what is it?

Oh and when I started out I had a small Raff in a terrarium just like your's. Now that same Raff is 4 feet tall and I have no choice but to grow it outside. Keep that in mind...

Oh, and dont worry about the pitchers dieing off on the Raff. It always happens when you put them in a new enviroment.

That VFT is fine, sometimes they eat something that kills the trap. It happens all the time and that trap will be replaced soon so don't worry.

The Nep is sitting in that green bowl which has maybe a sixteenth of an inch of water in it. That's just drainage. And the lights, are 100 watts each, so 300 watts, daylight spectrum. oh, and I live in washington, the humidity fluxuates from 30% to 50%. Do you really think they would survive? It's hardly EVER sunny here. RAIN< RAIN<RAIN, or clouds, clouds, clouds.

Jason,
The VFTs and many other CPs handle low humidity quite well if they are adjusted to it slowly. Quick changes of their environment will put them into shock, so just do the changes slowly. My VFTs do fine even when the humidity gets in the low 20% area. Just keep a little water in their trays.

really? I remember reading that a large water tray with about an inch of water can induce higher humidity, but what about the sun? We don't get much of that.

I say the vfts will do best outside. Rain is fine. Your humidity is fine. Just put them where they get the most sun available - several hours a day (when it's not raining obviously.)

OK, looking at your setup, it looks like you've got the fluorescent bulbs that replace the 100 watt incandescent. They are actually I believe 23 watts. But that's OK. Three of them over a tank your size will grow a nepenthes easily. But it shouldn't sit in any water. For your drosera seeds, see if you can figure out a way to elevate them so they're closer to the bulbs - put them on top of other pots or something. Within a few inches if possible.

Congrats! Your plants will be fine, and you'll crave more plants in no time! If you're in Seattle, you can grow nepenthes in open air in your house, too. Just put them in a sunny window, or under fluorescent lights. It will surprise you how well they'll do. You might want to look for more of a highland or hybrid, though. Like N. ventricosa, x ventrata, or any of many, many vigorous hybrids.

Capslock

Attack of the double posts!
Just remember to be patient, it can take some time for users to be able to get back on or to check a particular topic.

In the tank, I wouldn't worry much about humidity (unless the heat were to get overwhelming from the lights); you should not need a large pool of water to raise humidity. I mean, it may well raise relative humidity... But it it worth it?
Many CP don't appreciate having waterlogged roots, so the pool of water is liable to do more damage than help.

As for the VFTs, I'd give them a shot outside. As previously stated, they don't need a lot of humidity. While a lot of sun would be nice, if you don't get a lot of sun, then so be it. Shouldn't keep you from growing some nice plants. Heck, just think of all the flushing out you get from the rain, could allow you to grow some Neps outside, even with the fluctuating humidity.

Time to experiment a bit, eh?

So, do Nepenthes receive enough light, even if it is cloudy outside? You know, if they are in an East facing window. Also, we have a lot of trees outside. I guess my main question is: Will the Raff grow better in the "as close to ideal conditions I can provide" in the terrarium? Or is it better to let him grow in the house? I have a hanging basket holder, with a plastic liner for drainage, and now that summer is upon us, I don't have AC, and no forced is in the house, just open windows. As far as the VFT's, I just don't know if they will get enough sun outside. I mean, you have to see my house. I'm surrounded on all sides by 40 ft. trees..LOL! But anyway, Caps, I really appreciate the advice. All of you. I'm really, really falling in love with my "babies".

Here's how I grow neps. I live in San Francisco, so our weather is very similar to yours. I got a wire rack from Costco - about $70. I then got four-foot 2-bulb fluorescent fixtures - $10 each from the hardware store. I use two fixtures per shelf - so there are four total fluorescent tubes per shelf. I use the cheap "cool white" bulbs from the hardware store at about $2 each. That's it. I put mylar up on some of the sides and the back for reflectivenss. I've done this in my house and in my basement. Here's a pic:

Shelf_3.sized.jpg

Edit: You don't have to do this extensive a setup. Put a nep in the sunniest window you have and stick one of the fixtures like you have on your terrarium over it. It will grow well!

Capslock

nice. I'm gonna put one of my traps up in the window tomorrow...you know, so the humidity and light don't drop TOO dramatically...then I'll put him out in the flower bed. Probably the most sunlight is there. Also tomorrow, I'm gonna clean that terrarium out, I guess. Get the water out and put some more pots in there as pedestals. I really appreciate everyone's help. And sorry Est. I guess, I get a little impatient. I've asked a lot of nursery owners from where got my plants, but either got no response, or little help, that usually was not an answer to my question to begin with. But you guys have helped me out tremendously. I'll post a new pic tomorrow after I clean the house out. Also, I'll put up a pic of my yard, and the trees. Get some advice on that too.
biggrin.gif
Thanks guys! I hope you will stick around on this forum. As I have many more burning questions!

Sorry for the double, but Caps: So the humidity doesn't matter as much as everyone says it does? I've read that anything below 65-70% humidity, and you're not getting traps. That's for the Nep of course. I really want some beautiful pitchers. I know it takes patience for them to get big. Mine are probably only 1-2 inches long. I don't even know the sex or age of the plant. Also, how long WILL it take for the plant to grow and catch something bigger than a housefly? It's a raff.

It took about a year and a half for my Raff to get up to 4 feet. It grew faster in my terraium but it also grows fine outside. After a nep acclimates it can handle some pretty intense weather. In my area (Dallas, Texas) humidity can jump from 15% during the day to 90% at night. But my big Raff just keeps on truckin. Even with the low humidity it still makes nice big traps. Don't worry, if the Raff likes it's conditions it will fire out some massive leaves really quick and you'll have to move it out of the terrarium.

I also live in the middle of a forest with trees EVERYWHERE. And all my VFT's grow and color up nicely under all the filtered sunlight. My nep's grow on a shaded porch where they get bright shade and only a few hours of direct sun at sunset.

VERY nice!

Max, how many CP's (just the adult ones) are in that picture?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
As with Capslock and a few others, I have found that Neps (at least ventrata, Judith Finn, and sanguinea) do well in hanging baskets or planters, right at a window. The only caveat is that when its fall/winter there needs to be some semblence of artificial lighting to supplemnt. Otherwise the plants tend to stop pitchering.

As said earlier, VFT's do best when outside. Also said earlier, humidty is overrated and when moving plants from one environement to another, they should be acclimated, instead of tossed into it - especially recenyly purchased or recently shipped to you.

Here is a pic of Neps in a planter, by an attic window, just a month ago:

Strausplants0241.jpg

Here is a typical "open tray" setup of traopical sundews, most of which are flowering:

Strausplants0211.jpg

These are dormancy requiring plants that I keep outside for most of the year and in buckets of minbogs (VFT's, Sarracenias, cobra lily, D. filiformis, D. binata, D. rotundifolia, D. intermedia):

Strausplants0191.jpg

Welcome to TF!

ok, so I got rid of the water, put my smaller VFT outside, (since it has just finished raining and is cloudy) and added some woodsy decor. Anybody see anything wrong? Let me know, I'll fix it. Also, these are pics of my back yard. My front yard is just a parking lot, so the plants couldn't go there. The back yard faces west.

Picture099.jpg

Picture098.jpg

Picture097.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture095.jpg

Picture094.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I must get food for Master.......

"Feed me Seymore!"

Should be okay. Just keep an eye on them. Healthy plants can withstand the changes much better than recently shipped or garden center plants

Back