User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking for opinions and advice

Gig Harbor, WA, United States (40 miles from Seattle)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I kind of a newb here. I've loved plants my whole life, and always been intrigued by the venus flytrap. However, growing up in Oklahoma, I never had ideal humidity, or even survivable humidity for the that matter. I moved to Seattle when I was old enough to, and now, I finally, at 23, purchased my first trap. And to my surprise it was actually two. I seperated them as soon as I got them, because I had already purchased the Savage Garden a long time ago, and am, somewhat knowledgable. Anyway, with the traps, I got 30 free mixed Drosera seeds. I sowed them immediately, forgetting about stratification. Anyway, that's been almost two months, and my flytraps are still well and healthy. So, I purchased a Nep Rafflesiana about three weeks ago. I bought it off of ebay, cause I wanted to see if I COULD do it, before I spent mega bucks on one. Shortly after receiving the plant, the very small two working pitchers fell off, as the soil was FAR too dry when I received it. (I repotted it immediately after receiving it, but, too far too gone, I guess). So now, I have refitted my smaller aquarium and bought a much larger one. I'm not even sure how big. I have three 6000k/1360 lum fluorescent lights which are about 7-8 inches from most of the plants, but about 5 in. away from my Nep. One of the leaves was almost turning yellow before I got this new setup going. (they've been in the new tank for almost 5 days) So, I just wanted some advice on the health of my plant. I'm a complete newb when it comes to Neps, but I love my Raff so much. Also, are my flytraps going to coincide well? Below are pics, along with my temp and humid guage. Any ideas about the lighting? And that one trap, it's got a weird indentation on it? What is that?

Any advice at all will help tons. Thanks!
    I must get food for Master.......

Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....080;r=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, first off you need to get rid of the water line in your terrarium. Neps dont like to sit in water.

Next up, VFT's dont need high humidity and they do best outside in lots of sun. Just as it was for me when I started, you WANT to grow them inside but they do SOOOO much better outside.

What matters the most with any artificial lighting setup is how many total watts are you putting on those plants. So what is it?

Oh and when I started out I had a small Raff in a terrarium just like your's. Now that same Raff is 4 feet tall and I have no choice but to grow it outside. Keep that in mind...
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and dont worry about the pitchers dieing off on the Raff. It always happens when you put them in a new enviroment.

That VFT is fine, sometimes they eat something that kills the trap. It happens all the time and that trap will be replaced soon so don't worry.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nep is sitting in that green bowl which has maybe a sixteenth of an inch of water in it. That's just drainage. And the lights, are 100 watts each, so 300 watts, daylight spectrum. oh, and I live in washington, the humidity fluxuates from 30% to 50%. Do you really think they would survive? It's hardly EVER sunny here. RAIN< RAIN

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long did it take for your raff to get big?

Grow List

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,
    The VFTs and many other CPs handle low humidity quite well if they are adjusted to it slowly. Quick changes of their environment will put them into shock, so just do the changes slowly. My VFTs do fine even when the humidity gets in the low 20% area. Just keep a little water in their trays.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? I remember reading that a large water tray with about an inch of water can induce higher humidity, but what about the sun? We don't get much of that.

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    come on guys! Any advice is helpful.

Grow List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast