What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ampullaria questions

First off, look at this picture b/c this is the plant it's about, and you'll need to see what im talking about
amp.jpg

As you can see, there are a bunch of pitchers popping out of the base of the stem. However, they aren't "carpeting" the pot (like in swords' ampullarias).
Why is this?

Also, the main stem which you can see in the top right is getting a bit long for my terrarium, hypothetically what would happen if I cut that off? (I probably won't, but I'm just wondering)

Lastly, I've had this for like 1 and a half years and haven't changed the peat. There's a very short (half centimeter) grass like moss growing in the pot, and spaghum too. The peat is pitch black and very "goopy"
Should I change the soil, and if so, in what way should i go about this?

Thanks

It's kind of pale, but is that a hot lips?
As for the main stem, (somebody please correct me if I am wrong), because you have all that nice basal growth, if you cut it, you could use it to make cuttings and the basals will go on.

Cheers,

Joe

The basals will go on, Joe, and he'll also get some new vines forming from at least one of the basal shoots

I might need to do the cuttings, but i dunno, it seems a bit difficult

And this isn't hot lips, the pitchers near the top that look sort of like that are just a bit sunburnt on the top, in fact I think they're starting to die.
It's naturally sort of pale even though I give it high light. It's the typical green form.

Back