Likes Likes:  0

Thread: N. gymnamphora not very well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hi there,

I'm not a Nepenthes expert: my recently acquired Nepenthes gymnamphora is freaking out these days... Stranges symptoms appeared, as yellowing leaves then browning, rust like spot (but the cells under these spots seems to collapse) and a few blacks dots on leaves. None others plants (mostly highland) I have show these things. The tissues are still firm at the touch, so it dont look like a type of soft rot... It grow in a terrarium under 2 compact fluo (Fluorex type, 65W each). For the moment I putted it in a shadier spot of the terrarium thinking it could be a light induced stress... Any thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a N. gymnamphora that is suffering from similar conditions. Anyone have any ideas about what this may be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! The same thing is happening to mine (not so bad yet)....I thought it was becuase I had forgotten to water it or something....

I will follow this thread closely!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same thing happened to my N.gymnaphora. As it got older, it started producing smaller and smaller leaves with that unusual coloration. Fortunately, at the same time, it produced a basal which appears normal. (The parent plant is still alive and appears to be getting better). Perhaps it got ugly because it was sending energy reserves to the basal shoot?

As for what produces this change in appearance, I have no real idea (just the above guess) as my cultivation conditions remained the same throughout the plant's life.

I'll also be watching this topic closely!
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine for 5 months and I now have it under fairly intense 65Watt Fluorex and LED light. The newest leaf is starting out smaller and more red than the others, but it otherwise seems OK:

I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much experience growing gymnamphora in cultivation but when I saw it in the wild I was impressed by the fact that the plants were growing in very dark shady places. So I would put an emphasis on fairly low light and probably consistent high humidity and moisture.

Good luck
    Rich