Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: outdoor nepenthes options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey

Over a year ago before Leo Song moved away, he gave me 3 rooted cuttings for n. ventricosa. Obviously its an easy species to grow, but I was surprised when it turned into a monster...theres tons of basal growth, large pitchers, its huge. (picture to come).

So, seeing how this is doing so well outside, would it be possible to grow a species with larger traps? (like n. truncata). it's warm outside year round, usually in the 70s-80s. The lowest temperature is around 50 degrees on winter nights. The humidity is pretty high (southern california), and the plants always get partial sunlight. (hanging basket on a tree).

If not truncata, what other large-trapped species would work? (I just like gigantic traps, it doesn't have to do with being outside), but I can't fit things like that into my terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your conditions sound great for truncata. You might see some slow growth in the winter (it is a bit of a slow grower anyway). I keep 3 of them outside and they take whatever the weather throws at them, though I do not let the temp get below 50 or so. They regularly produce big, impressive pitchers.

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mine outside all last winter in an unheated greenhouse; this GH was in total shade in the wintertime and the truncata didn't like it but it didn't die either (In am in so. Calif.). I would be pretty certain that as long as it got some sun in the wintertime, you would have a prolific plant in your conditions year-round.

Even better, why don't you try a truncata crossed with some tough highlander? That would probably do even better for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have truncata X aristochloides that grows outside year round. I live in San Diego, about 3 miles from ludwig777. Also I have a N, sanguinea "red" that grows next to the truncata X aristochloides. Not to mention my N. "gentle", which made the last pitcher over twice as big as the last one.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys, i guess ill try it then.
    yea, during the winter the ventricosa is a little slow too and has most of its traps died off...but during the summer there's many of them. (20 or so)and it grows strong