Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much sun can neps take?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler_mt
    I think you might be tlaking about Michael. He is a member of pitcher-plants.com and he has a nepenthes haven in his backyard and maybe, as you suggested, a few in the front yard. They are all of amazing size and the closest you'll get to a wild habitat of neps. in cultivation. His collection is simply amazing and if you would like to see his neps just come to pitcher-plants.com (forum)
    and you will just be amazed at what you can accomplish with neps when you grow them outdoors.

P.S. His s/n is Rainforest Carnivore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he is/was a member here cause i saw the pic on here but i believe we are thinking of the same guy.

there is an individual(stone_jaguar IIRC) somewheres south of the border(Guatamala?) who has them growing out in their yard also

neps(atleast some) can definatlu take the strongest sun yah can give them if acclimated properly. however for those of us living in the frozen north its idiotic to try because if yah aclimate them right yah only have a few weeks of growing them in full sun before bringing them in before the first frost
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I no it really stinks living in NJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few weeks? What do you consider a few weeks?
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets see, last danger of frost is the first few weeks of june for me, take a good 6-8 weeks to get it acclimated properly to our hot sun(if it will even stand the 30% humidity) that puts us to what august sometime? first frost is usually bout the first few weeks in October. so depending on when my first and last frost is, i get between 4 and 8 weeks of optimal growth *IF* it adapts and starts growing right away which it may or may not, ive had neps pout for 3 months after moving them from 2 flourecent lights to 4 lights while keeping humidity the same. after the maybe 4-8 weeks of growing i bring it back inside to beat the frost and it goes into a pout again because of less light. makes alot of sence to me

honestly i dont think its worth the effort if you cant keep the plant outside for atleast 10 months out of the year and i have an opening of what? maybe 5?
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 27 2006,10:32)]lets see, last danger of frost is the first few weeks of june for me, take a good 6-8 weeks to get it acclimated properly to our hot sun(if it will even stand the 30% humidity) that puts us to what august sometime? first frost is usually bout the first few weeks in October. so depending on when my first and last frost is, i get between 4 and 8 weeks of optimal growth *IF* it adapts and starts growing right away which it may or may not, ive had neps pout for 3 months after moving them from 2 flourecent lights to 4 lights while keeping humidity the same. after the maybe 4-8 weeks of growing i bring it back inside to beat the frost and it goes into a pout again because of less light. makes alot of sence to me

honestly i dont think its worth the effort if you cant keep the plant outside for atleast 10 months out of the year and i have an opening of what? maybe 5?
    Maybe it's just the location you are in. In Ohio our last danger of frost is near the end of May and frost won't come again until sometime near Halloween. We also have plenty of humidity, floats around 80-90% humidity and temps usually high in the 80s. Currenty conditions are 67F w/ 90% humidity.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like i said though some neps CAN AND DO pout for several months after being moved. its not worth breaking a sweat over an amp to do nothing, and i mean NOTHING for 6 months after changing conditions. my bongso and ventrata, two of my hardiest an most adaptable neps pout for 2 months after changing conditions(bongso doing lil, ventrata throwing mutant pitchers), unless they can stay outside year round or atleast for 10 months all i can see is that your continually stressing your plant. not that im not for experimentation, hell im all for that. its just that it seems an effort of futility if your only dealing with a six-ish month window of good weather.
    cervid serial killer

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make the best of what you have. If you have a hardy nep, put them outside in the shade. Last year I stuck my 3 N. ventricosa outside in hanging baskets and hung them in my apple tree. I figured even the dappled shade under the tree would give them more light than they would get through the window I had them hanging in front of inside the house. The window's got the coatings on it that block IR and UV light frequencies. They handled temps from 85F during the day down to 45f at night and humidity as low as 20% or less. Pitchering slowed down for a couple weeks while they got used to their new conditions before taking off again. Here in the valley, the last frost is at the end of May to the first week of June and the first is usually around the last week of October to the first week of November. An easy way to get around frosts is to bring them in for the night. I brought mine in on the nights it looked like it would drop below 40f and stuck them back out the next day. That streched my season a couple of weeks.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast