Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much sun can neps take?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can they adjust to fullsun like a VFT/Sarr takes? Or are they just best left under a tree with filtered light? I remember reading last year that someone was growing their neps in fullsun and I was wondering if anyone else had success doing so.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe fc3srx713b can help you out. He transfered his neps out into the sun. I'm trying to find the thread right now, as soon as I do I'll post it. there you go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neps will take as much sun as you give them (just don't transfer them from say 10% to 100% sun at once). There are many species growing atop plateaus on 2000m mountains, the light intensity is incredible, many times more than any sarr or VFT would expect to receive. I think growing in full sun makes them more compact and the pitchers more colourful. Might also flower sooner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, they seem rather more difficult to get adjusted. I give my plants great care when weening to the outdoors but I inevitably fry the Nepenthes despite this. Go slow, reeeaaall slow.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the problem with individuals such as Tamlin, Jeremiah H., Tony P. and I, as soon as we would get them weaned out and into full sun it would be time to bring them in before they froze so a large number of growers are not able to actually try it, a south window or greenhouse is as close as we will get to using full sun. doesnt Capslock have a few out and in the sun on a balconey or something? there is a fellow in Hawaii who has a x Ventrata taking over his mailbox in what appears to be full sun
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See: Neps Around the House
    I don't know about your climate though; Nepenthes need consistent conditions year-round and wouldn't like being moved twice a year with the seasons. I'm not sure having the plant in full sun would be worth the loss in growth you'd see from moving it with the seasons and in the process of hardening it up to full sun.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Well I'm going to take it upon myself to experiment a little and see what happens. I would love to be able to keep them outside until the fall, they're drooling for bugs if you know what I mean.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never tried growing Neps in full sun, or even outside for that matter. All I know is that the Neps I grow HATE when the temps get too high, like over 95 degrees. I would love to try maybe a N. bical outside here in Southern California.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast