What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between Hamata and Predator?

I just got my Predator in the mail and it looks great. I was just wondering though what the difference between the Hamata and the Predator is. Also what does the Truncata bring to it? Mine looks a lot like a bigger Hamata. Which is not a bad thing. I'm very happy with it, I just have questions.

The difference is that the Hamata has a more ribbed peristome and is smaller. The truncata brings the size and the shape of the plant in the predator.

N. truncata parentage will not only bring the size but tolerance and toughen up the plant, hence the creation of the plant, an easy to grow hardy plant that looks like N. hamata
smile_m_32.gif

Where does one find one of these predators?

They are too hard to get. I just got mine from the auction.

sometimes Tony Paroubeck has them...they are VERY expensive though.
Alex

Exoticaplants has fantastic specimens of them but they are in Australia and I got mine from a group order.

I also got one of those. How is yours doing? Mine has grown a couple leaves and is now outside with my other Neps. I expect to see the newest pitcher bud inflating soon. These large plants take a while to adapt to my highland conditions, especially the intermediate growers. Here are pics from when I received my plant last April.

EP2067.jpg

Predatorperi.jpg

EP2066.jpg

I expect my first pitcher produced here to be smaller than this one.

Back