Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tough nep

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most neps hate sitting in water, so it would be good moving the N. hamata out of the tray.

Since you have two, have you tried one as a windowsill plant yet?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (elgecko @ July 01 2006,9:33)]Most neps hate sitting in water, so it would be good moving the N. hamata out of the tray.

Since you have two, have you tried one as a windowsill plant yet?
    Yeah, but what's strange is that I have this one Nep that sits in water all the time and grows like a beast. It's a hybrid I rescued from Home Depot last summer and it doesn't mind having its feet wet. I think it may be the exception, because most of my other Neps seem to want good drainage.

I actually had one of my N. hamatas sitting out in the open air for a while, but I think the heat got to it. I may try it again once they both have healed from the neglect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Same here ^^

My Raff, Ventri's, and Bical grow faster when they are sitting in water. But all my other Nep's hate it with a passion.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sheesh! if N. hamata is rely that tough im deffinatly getting one....when i get money that is .
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that I have read that Nepenthes bicalcarata can come from swampy areas that stay very wet.

I also read that several people say that Nepenthes rafflesiana can tolerate wetter conditions then most neps.
    I have not read many postings / articles for the typical habit for Nepenthes rafflesiana though.
    Mine gets watered twice a week, the same as all my other neps and seems to like it very well.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prehaps you people have herd of nursery hardend plants? what nurserys did the plants come from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my understanding with hamata is when young its fairly tender(which is where the difficult rumor came from) but when when its older its quite tough.

as for being wet, most neps do hate their feet being constantly wet. i water mine about every other week. water only sits in the tray for a day or so.

as for Nepenthes being tough ive got N. ampullaria and ephippiata growing side by side and both are happy and pitchering. that one is just odd.

what does well with one person will fail miserably with another. not everything works for everyone.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12