What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes MIKEY Heart ATTACK???

Man...
I cannot believe it.I was not used to see Nepenthes die so fast and without giving an advice!
This was the story:
I bought the Nep from www.bestcarnivorousplants.com on 3 th June and on 4 th June it was already in its peat moss, dried sphagnum,coconuts chips and perlite.
The plant after some days begun to grow without any problems.
I keep track all my plants serveral times every day.
Mikey finished to develope a pitcher and begun to develope another until ONE DAY I noticed that the plants was in really bad stage!
Without loosing time I put her outside the terrarium because the first thing I though was : " man..maybe so high temperatures are too much for this highlander ".
But even outside in less than a couple of days it became all marrow !!! Nothing to do, nothing to save!
No advertiment or preview!
Is that possible?
A friend of mine after having a look to the photos told me that most probably the plant is not died to high temperatures but simply because a " error process of cellular duplication ".
For you it is possible such thing?
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

nepenthes_mikey.jpg

How do the roots look? If the roots are rotted or otherwise rendered unusable, then it would make sense that under high temperatures the plant could easily dissicate (dry out) and die. I'm sorry that your plant died, in any case.

blah... the dreaded 'rot from below'

Pathogen that enters from the roots and travels very quickly up the stem. With small short young plants like that the whole center of the plant is gone before you see it hit. Usually the first indication is the youngest leaf/growth point turning black.

Sorry about your plant

T

Hi all:

Tony's got a good point, Mr Aga. Your plant got sick due to a germ and died. Mikey are very easy to grow so i have never experienced what you had. This is why you should treat your plants with a fungicide prior planting these to avoid these disasters.

Gus

AugustinFranco,
why I never use a fungicide before?
Man...I mean...do you do the same also with all your new plants?
Fungicide? Hmm...seems so strange for me.
I put a lots of plants into new substrate but never had problems like this.
What Tony tolds about youngest leafes turning black or about stopping the plant to produce pitchers.
None of this happened.
In the same day I also had other new plants in my terrarium,even 4 times littler! But they are all super fine!
So...for me this has no sense. I don't want to look at roots now because I want to see if the plant is totally deceased or if it will react from the middle.
Look...I post a new pic from the plant the very first day on 4 June! As you can see it has developed a new leaf.
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

nepenthes_mikey0.jpg

Well you mention high temperatures. How high? Maybe you did bake it.
smile_h_32.gif
Although it still looks like a fungal infection to me. Maybe it didn't follow the exact pattern I mentioned previously but the mottley brown patchy look on that leaf in the second photo looks like a pathogen. Usually when plants get heat/cold damage they turn black.

I fungicide all new plants. The rigors of international shipping with changing temperatures and prolonged time periods within sealed bags is just perfect for plants to become infected with some fungal problem. Any potential problems usually show within a few days or so after they arrive. I have had plenty of seemingly healthy plants upon arrival just wither and die within a few days. A month later though is a bit suspect that it was something caused in shipping to your place. It is hard to say for certain.

Tony

Back