Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing bicals...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...is much like raising crocodiles: before you decide on getting one, you gotta be aware that eventually they WILL outgrow the bathtub...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome! How long did it take to go from the little plant in the top pic to the monster in the bottom one?

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice nice
    I wish I could say the same.
    2 years...8 inches now..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the li'l one in the first picture for my birthday on 11/27/05. The last picture was shot yesterday, it's the guy on the left. I have a third bical in a pot the size of a toilet bowl; that plant experienced similar speedy growth last year. It suffered quite a bit last winter, but is now recovering, making its first pitcher now, but its stem is still as fat as my tumb (and that's a FAT thumb).

I used to credit the weather and the abundance of country bugs for the happiness in all my bicals (and over the last two years I've had quite a number coming through here) However, they all display similar freakish growth when caged in terrariums during the two winter months. Maybe it's the good mountain air after all....

Droseradude - did you grow yours from seed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha no...I got it like 4 inches from cook's.
    The reason for its slow growth is probably because it's in a 5 inch pot...and I dont have room to repot it. so..its sort of a good thing that its small.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice Hans Beuer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the nice comments, caballeros.

A 5 inch pot will provide you with a bonsai bical forever. If there's one Nepenthes species that needs room to grow (literally), it's our little fanged friends. The reason I use totally oversized pots for the bicals is that they never stay oversized for long. Whatever you give them, they'll grow into it before you can say "I need new greenhouse". Under ideal conditions, a 24-inch diameter plant in a 15 x 15 inch pot (width by depth) can become rootbound within a year. Trouble is, bicals HATE repotting, so I give them lots of acreage to romp in right from the start...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several bicals that seem to constantly be in a state of adjustment. I'm sure it hasn't helped that I've been adjusting my conditions a whole lot lately, but it's odd that it's taking them so long to get used to things.

Do you guys ever have this problem? Do bicals take a while to adjust, maybe moreso than other Neps?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast