Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Borneo or bust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm thinking of making a pilgrimage to Borneo next year. Can anyone offer advice on the best places to trek to see Neps. Also any advice on guides, places to stay etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinabalu National Park, naturally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Simon,

Talk to Borneo (Rob Cantley ... Did I spell his last name right?)! He runs a nep shop over there (borneo exotics).
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ July 20 2006,8:17)]Hey Simon,

Talk to Borneo (Rob Cantley ... Did I spell his last name right?)! He runs a nep shop over there (borneo exotics).
    Dave, you may not know this but Simon (owner of Treesmill Tropicals) and Rob (in Sri Lanka, remember!) are good friends, in and out of the business! I'm sure he's picked Rob's brains over and over already! Correct me if I'm wrong Simon.

Personally I'd love nothing more than to go out there and climb the big K.

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ,how long is your trip? Neps are everywhere in Borneo - common lowland are easily found along the roadside ( gracilis, mirabilis,green and spotted ampullaria, raff to some extent).

To see lowland,intermediate and highland . In Sarawak- Bako national park, Gunung Murud, Mulu National Park. Sabah - Mesilau Nature Park and Kinabalu National Park( cool temperate weather 12C - 17I C ). If time is too short skip Kinabalu. Mesilau offer the best chance to see Rajah, burbidgea, edwardsiana,etc ( if u are lucky-ask the guard-NOT GUIDE ) . From Mesilau the trek up to 9000ft-10,000ft will connect the Kinabalu main trail to the summit,you will see Villosa here-the GUIDE will tell you,but tell him/her your main interest.

Guide in Sarawak- there are many travel agent.check with their web site and tell them your purpose and get a guide who know neps.Usually they are trained to serve the purpose- to see bird or wild life or neps or native culture or all

Guide are also available within the park itself.

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Dave, you may not know this but Simon (owner of Treesmill Tropicals) and Rob (in Sri Lanka, remember!) are good friends, in and out of the business! I'm sure he's picked Rob's brains over and over already!
    I did not know this. I will file that one away in the mental rolodex...
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if it was that Simon, but I thought, "Nah!"
    Are you the same Simon that Slack mentions as using a compact type of live sphagnum for growing all your Neps in? I have the darn book and wuld look it up, but have never found the box that has it since I moved to this house(several years ago) lol.

Cheers,

Joe