What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will humidifier make plants wimps?

I just got two small ultrasonic humidifiers today and put them on my neps. The temps droped from about 80-82 to 75 because they have a built-in fan. The humidity jumped from 60% to right now 85% Tomarrow during the day and I turn them off will it hurt them when the humidity drops? I just want to use them at night when the humidity needs to be higher and the temps need to be lower. The plants are gowing great on my dresser in front of my east window. I don't want to mess them up with trying this. What does everyone else think?

Keep in mind, this's what their built for. I mean, I suppose it'd be optimal if they'd go off slowly, but I don't think a drop from 85 to 60% RH will cause any trouble.

I'm more worried about your dresser getting soaked and ruined!

My plants go through a much bigger drop outdoors, from over 80% to under 50%. The harder to grow species: rajah, lowii aren't real happy about it, but they do continue to grow. The temperatures are probably not ideal for them either. The easy species: maxima, ventricosa, sanguinea and hybrids all do fine. I assume you are talking about highland plants. Lowlanders are less forgiving. My plants also get bright light which helps. If your other conditions are good: light, soil moisture, air flow your plants should be fine. if not, your plants may take a little while to adjust, but they should eventually be OK. What are you growing?

The humidity drop will take a while in a partially contained environment like a tank. And 60% isn't a bad humidity level for most Neps, either. If your plants had spent their entire lives at 85%, you might be in for some shock, but seeing as they're going from a little extra to what they're used to, it shouldn't be a problem as far as I know.
Best luck,
~Joe

I'm just trying to get the temps down and a little more humidity at night can't hurt right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ July 21 2006,9:38)]I'm just trying to get the temps down and a little more humidity at night can't hurt right?
If you are growing highlanders... they'll love it ! If you grow lowlanders it shouldn't do any damage.

I have highlanders. I had a list but I don't know what happened to it.

Your growlist is still there, they just changed the URL for the growlist forum so you need to update your links.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm just trying to get the temps down and a little more humidity at night can't hurt right?

Well, if you want an alternative to running a humidifier to raise humidity, you could cool the tank externally, say, with a fan. The lower temperatures will raise the relative humidity.

Back