What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIG Neps wanted!

Houstonherp

Send in the Clones
Hello all -

Knowing the generosity of the CP community, I thought I would post this thread...

As a naturalist at my full-time job, and as a volunteer for many non-profit organizations, including the Houston Museum of Natural Science, I often get to interact with some fantastic folks in the natural history arena. Well, last week was one of those times!

I have been conversing with the director of the Cockrell Butterfly Center here in Houston, Texas about adding some Nepenthes to their exhibit. The CBC is a 70-foot tall glass rainforest dome which houses hundreds of species of orchids, shrubs, trees and other rainforest flora, and up to 2000 free-flying butterflies on any given day. Most, if not all, of the plants have been from Central/South America up until now; but I pointed out that they have many butterfly species from Asia, and that Nepenthes would make a beautiful addition to the unique flora contained in this setting!

To that end, I am requesting donations of larger Nepenthes for display purposes in the rainforest exhibit. If you have any Neps that have just completely outgrown their habitat, or if you would just like to donate to this worthy educational cause, please PM or e-mail me. The plants would be well taken care of, and viewed by tens of thousands of people annually.

I can either accept the plants on behalf of the HMNS/CBC, or put you in touch with the director of the CBC directly.

Thanks in advance!

It sounds very cool, but are you sure this is what you want in a butterfly exhibit?
smile.gif

LOL. Well, maybe he wants to turn the butterfly exhibit into a Nep exhibit.
smile_n_32.gif
But keep in mind that large Neps don't like to be shipped, and that no one wants to pay for that, too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ July 25 2006,3:33)]LOL. Well, maybe he wants to turn the butterfly exhibit into a Nep exhibit.
smile_n_32.gif
But keep in mind that large Neps don't like to be shipped, and that no one wants to pay for that, too.
Actually, the director of the butterfly exhibit is familiar with Nepenthes, and is not overly concerned about 'incidental take' of butterflies by the plants.

As for shipping, he will be more than happy to reimburse for shipping expenses, and I have had excellent results in receiving large Neps as potted specimens. In fact, I received a MONSTER bical for my own educational programming from a 7-gallon pot earlier this year, and it is doing fantastic in its new 10-gallon accommodations!

Granted, it takes a large box to get this done, but he is willing to pay for box charges as well.

Please let me know if you are interested but not sure about how to ship; I'll be glad to help!

Back