What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any thoughts?

Hi,

Looking at the following pics (1st link below) would anyone care to identify the plant in pictures 51&53 on page 3? I certainly think this is N.macrophylla, but looking at the slightly irregular protrusions on the peristome (spiking) it reminded me of the debate regarding this characteristic seen on one of Wistubas macrophylla clones (2nd link below). On Wistubas clone the protrusions are more exaggerated and it is regarded by some as being atypical ie. a hybrid (N.trusmadiensis). My N.x trusmadiensis or for that matter any other trusmadiensis I have seen look nothing like this plant or Wistubas clone which display none of the lowii characteristics typically seen on the underside of the lid. Perhaps these photos show that N.macrophylla can have an irregular peristome. Any thoughts?

Link 1

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/highland_gh_tour_05/?start=40

Link2

http://www.treesmilltropicals.co.uk/forumimages/n_macrophylla_b.jpg

did YOU take those?!

lucky!

its Macrophylla...just a different one.
Alex

woops forgot to mention. AWESOME PICS!! TM in the wild...awesome. i ask though. what is the one in pics 46 and 47? its neat.
Alex

N. albomarginata

I suspect it is N. xTrusmadiensis possibly crossed back with macrophylla. The lid hairs are not always visible on lowii hybrids and it does have the elongated mouth associated with lowii hybrids as they enter the intermediate stage.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Aug. 02 2006,12:58)]I suspect it is N. xTrusmadiensis possibly crossed back with macrophylla. The lid hairs are not always visible on lowii hybrids and it does have the elongated mouth associated with lowii hybrids as they enter the intermediate stage.
if that is true....could that be the same for Wistuba's clone?

Hi,

I should have said the wild pics are not mine but the Wistuba plant is.

Which one? Aren't we talking about pics 51 and 53? Is this the same plant in pic 55? It looks a lot like TM to me.
Pic 55

Hi Steve,

The original query was for pics 51&53 which I think are from the same plant (not sure as I didnt take the pics). Agree Pic55 is N.x trusmadiensis (which I think is a different plant from pics 51&53) the question was are pics 51&53 pure macro as they have the atypical points on the peristome which wistubas plant displays and which has been questioned.

Hello,

I did not take those photos but I did upload them to the net. A good friend of mine Rich Ellis (witzelsucht here on the forums) took those about a year ago on his trip with C. Clarke.

-Jeremiah-

Back