What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIG Nepenthes Ventratas!

Hi guys,

I think JMurphy has experienced this before, but I was shopping at my local Krogers supermarket tonight (contact lens solution) when I decided to venture over to their "floral" section.  At first a couple of pots of flytraps mixed with D. intermedia caught my eye, but upon closer inspection, they were dried out growing in uncovered pots exposed to the cold of the supermarket.  And they're wrapped around green sheet moss so I'm not sure they were planted correctly underneath.

BUT, 2 feet away, I saw 7 or 8 of these beauties.  

206271929_335604c6ee.jpg

206271927_3f6f694aa0.jpg

They're labeled "Alata" but I think consensus here states they're probably the more vigorous "ventratas."  BUT MAN, i would've never thought a supermarket would carry them...for $9.99 each!   I snatched 2 and tried very hard not to get the rest.   Tomorrow I will go back if they havne't sold them out.  The cashiers say plants like these come like once...and were very curious when I told them all I know about them.

Awesome!

~Johnny

Also, they looked like they were in a bit of shock from being in the cold and plus the substrate was very low. I added LFS to it and filled the pitchers with a bit of distilled water and set them outside where they'll get morning sun and dappled sunlight for the rest of the day. Is that ok? Thanks.

ONe more thing. It seems like there were many shoots that fell or broke off and started forming roots alongside the mother plant. Hhahaha..sorry, for you experienced Nep growers, this is probably nothing, but I'm really excited about finding these guys.

DANG! I wish I could find something like that near by. For 10 bucks? Oh man... Gotta do more scowering, see if I can find anything.

If the substate is low, then you should add more below the surfaced part of the stem, that way you're actually adding to the volume of media in which thw roots may grow. Adding on top doesn't do much escept maybe endanger the stem (unless your stem roots then, too!)

Awesome find, and it's cool that it's got some rooting shoots.

i think i'm gonna go get the rest tomorrow...i might not have Hamatas, but I'll have big clumps of Ventratas for cheap! hahahahah:p

That looks like a nice catch !! But what are you going to do with al those ventatas ? Serious, within a year your place is jungle
smile_n_32.gif

Aww Maaan!! droooooollll

*faints* such beautiful coloration!! the best thing we have if the things at lowe's in the cubes. which reminds me... i need to call them to see if they go a new order in...
Alex

N. ventrata grows like a weed! If anyone (est) wants a cutting for the cost of shipping, let me know. It won't take long for a cutting to become a octopus. Its such a fun easy plant.

Glenn

Yea those are the same as what I got but no one wanted them so I just kept them. If anyone wants some I can get more. Just PM me. I'm still looking for a cobra lily if anyone wants to trade one for a huge ventrata.

Back