Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG Nepenthes Ventratas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

I think JMurphy has experienced this before, but I was shopping at my local Krogers supermarket tonight (contact lens solution) when I decided to venture over to their "floral" section. At first a couple of pots of flytraps mixed with D. intermedia caught my eye, but upon closer inspection, they were dried out growing in uncovered pots exposed to the cold of the supermarket. And they're wrapped around green sheet moss so I'm not sure they were planted correctly underneath.

BUT, 2 feet away, I saw 7 or 8 of these beauties.

They're labeled "Alata" but I think consensus here states they're probably the more vigorous "ventratas." BUT MAN, i would've never thought a supermarket would carry them...for $9.99 each! I snatched 2 and tried very hard not to get the rest. Tomorrow I will go back if they havne't sold them out. The cashiers say plants like these come like once...and were very curious when I told them all I know about them.

Awesome!

~Johnny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, they looked like they were in a bit of shock from being in the cold and plus the substrate was very low. I added LFS to it and filled the pitchers with a bit of distilled water and set them outside where they'll get morning sun and dappled sunlight for the rest of the day. Is that ok? Thanks.

ONe more thing. It seems like there were many shoots that fell or broke off and started forming roots alongside the mother plant. Hhahaha..sorry, for you experienced Nep growers, this is probably nothing, but I'm really excited about finding these guys.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DANG! I wish I could find something like that near by. For 10 bucks? Oh man... Gotta do more scowering, see if I can find anything.

If the substate is low, then you should add more below the surfaced part of the stem, that way you're actually adding to the volume of media in which thw roots may grow. Adding on top doesn't do much escept maybe endanger the stem (unless your stem roots then, too!)

Awesome find, and it's cool that it's got some rooting shoots.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think i'm gonna go get the rest tomorrow...i might not have Hamatas, but I'll have big clumps of Ventratas for cheap! hahahahah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a nice catch !! But what are you going to do with al those ventatas ? Serious, within a year your place is jungle

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aww Maaan!! droooooollll
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *faints* such beautiful coloration!! the best thing we have if the things at lowe's in the cubes. which reminds me... i need to call them to see if they go a new order in...
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. ventrata grows like a weed! If anyone (est) wants a cutting for the cost of shipping, let me know. It won't take long for a cutting to become a octopus. Its such a fun easy plant.

Glenn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast