What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. mirabilis question

Any thoughts?

nmiribelis080606fj7.jpg

Thought one: That's one big ol' picture!

Does not look like what I remember as a typical mirabalis, but then it also look like this pitcher is getting on in it's life.

Hi,
Sorry the plant is a typical N. mirablis. Petiole leaves with filimate leaf margins.
Truly,
Tom

Thanks for the ID. Does anyone know what seperates miabilis from smilesii?

Hi,
I looked up some info on the two species and if I spell it right fimbriate not filimate this should give you some idea of what to look for.
N. mirabilis has longitudinal nerves with the margin of the lower leaves fimbriate in general. Low altitude grower.
N. smilesii grows at highland altitude and in latin planta brevis erecta non scandens, caulis brevis, sessilia, in currhum- Macfarlane or from Hemsley
parva acaulescens vel saltem ramulis floriferis, puberulis which if I translate it correctly a short stemless multishoot plant with puberulis decurrent leaves and short tendrils.
You can find alot of info at Nepenthesofthailand.com and Neofarmthailand.com.
I find that the plant N. smilesii has very fine hairs on the leaves and edges where N. mirabilis has this fimbriate leaf edge.
Truly,
Tom

Back