Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for pictures and descriptions of

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. Judith Finn, a plant I received from Snowy Falcon 2 years ago, is now sending up 6" tall pitchers. The pitchers have a wide, winglike appearance, that is different than my ventratas, which are younger and smaller. Are wings a charactersistic of Judith Finn or that of an older plant? Anybody have pictures?

There is approxiamtely 1" between the nodes. Is this a sign of vining?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most lower pitchers have wings and their size is different from species to species if this is what you mean.

When there is 1" between the nodes I guess it is vining...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim here is a picture of the "wings" as I understand them to be. This is an older picture of my N. sanguina "orange". The wings are those flang looking things on front of the pitcher.
    In fact this is my avitar pic at the moment. I guess I need to make a new one. This is an old picture.

Now as far as vining goes. Here is a picture of a vining ventrata I just hacked up into cuttings. Atleast I assume it was vining.
    vs. being compact and leafs close together like this.

It is my understanding Jim that some plants have wings and others don't, but all nepenthes eventualy vine. I could be wrong about that so if I am someone please correct me. The wings are a charectoristing of some species and can be carried over to the prodogy like flower charectoistings do when breeding for flower colors and things. Some plants have wings when they are juviniles and some don't have them at all. Some grow them as they get older. I know my Ventrata doesn't have wings, but I noticed a basal lead starting to grow, and the small pitchers there that are about an inch and a half tall have the cutest little wings, but the large pitchers do not.

I remember reading when I first got started in nepenthes that some species use the wings to grasp onto the side of a tree or structure and hold on with them. I wish I could remember the species, but I saw a picture. Its not a movable stucture, but its attaches and helps secure the plant similar to when the tendrals wrap around a branch or other object.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also may be wrong but i dont think N. rajah vines no matter how old it is. either that or the internodes stay close together throughout its life. it makes uppers....but i dont think it vines like we think a nep would.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I'm still new to them really, and haven't had any experience with rajah. There has to be exceptions to every rule. Does rajah climb, but still keeps its node close together? Interesting.
    JB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys. I'd say my plant is vining, then.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal! Make sure that when it starts to dangle or flap in the wind that you give the tendrals something to grab onto to ensure it still pitchers for you.
    JB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! It's in my bathroom window, climbing up the glass!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast