Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New N. hamata

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just got a little hamata a week back, too! Mine's a bit smaller and doesn't have any pitchers at the moment. But good luck to us both!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll join the N. hamata club by saying that I have a recovering N. hamata in one of my terrariums right now. It has been one of the strongest little CPs I've ever owned, especially since it seems to be known for needing chilly conditions. It managed to dodge our heat wave this summer and is now producing healthy green leaves!

I'm hoping for a nice pitcher soon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The yellowing leaves have almost gone completely brown. I really love hamata..this is my 5th plant. Only the first is dead but the rest are not doing very well. They just take VERY VERY long to acclimatise to my conditions. I know that what I can provide is pretty good 'cos I have a macrophylla doing pretty well for me.
    Cindy

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are all of the plants only over a week old?
    It seems that most neps, for me anyway, take 2 to 3 months to settle into new conditions and start nice growth and pitchering.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy... you are dealing with plants that have problems before you get them ;<

Those spots still worry me. I have N. hamata that get red flushing from light but never spots. The spots in your photo look sunken too.. which is NOT a good sign.

The last batch of over 40 N. hamata I got from the same source were loaded with Cercospora.. They had long brown stems where a lot of old leaves had been cut and just a few green leaves at the top. A number died within the first couple weeks and a few here and there over the past year as the main stem died and the top of the plant dehydrated. It is not the same as black rot which kills plants very quickly. The remaining plants even at this point are only slighly larger than when they arrived.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also point out the size relationship between all the leaves and the newer vs older leaves. Note the larger leaves are towards the bottom. That right there tells a volume on the condition of the plant and the direction it is heading.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, I've got the hamata from Wistuba. And there's another.

Now that they are with me, I will just try my best to save them. Knowing that I am dealing with plants that have problems before I get them is doing alot for my conscience and confidence. At least I know I am not the problem, neither is my growing conditions. Is there any way I can help the plants?

The other hamata also has the spots.

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I did notice that the subsequent leaves are smaller but am not experienced enough to tell what is wrong. I have been thinking why I've been killing hamatas when the species have survived harsh summers. I am sure my hamata no. 5 and 6 will do better.

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm well they may simply have picked up some spotting in shipping. N. hamata is very picky and simply turn to black mush frequently in international shipping. In a general sense I have had good results with Wistuba plants. The ones I am most interested in though are the high demand plants and they are frequently small and not established.. which on top of international shipping can really set them back a long long time. The one pictured above looks pretty good.. better than the other in my eyes. There isn't much you can do except give them the best conditions you can and have lots and lots of patience. If you have and clearys3336 or something similiar I would apply a few treatments a couple weeks apart just as a precaution. I treat all new plants this way after the rigors of travelling for a week in a sealed baggie in a box...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast