Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New N. hamata

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

The plant is very new. Less than a week with me. Here's a pic.

The mix is cocochip, perlite, peat topped and lined with a little LFS prevent the media from falling out. The third and fourth oldest leaves are yellowing rather quickly. The oldest and second oldest leaves are still very green.

I am going to let the media dry out more and keep the plant cooler, with less light. Am I doing the right thing?
    Cindy

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just suffering from transplant shock. Nothing to worry about. Though I don't agree with drying it it out, I do agree with keeping it cooler (depending on your current temperatures), and adjusting it slowly to your light levels. Drying out a hamata will only make things worse, it's best to just water it daily and let the water run through the media, then mist it. The yellowing is normal, old leaves will die out if the plant is stressed. If the growth tip begins to yellow then the plant is basically in trouble and will need some help. I'm sure someone here will help you with that problem as I have never experianced troubles with new neps before. I always soak my plants in a solution of superthrive to overcome shock and they bounce back to normal growth in a few days. Hope this helps.

Edit: Nice plant though.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As cprus said, the yellowing of older leaves is a normal thing, but if new leaves yellow, something is wrong.

How much are you watering your plant?

I grow my N. hamata in a 14" hanging basket. My soil mix is perlite, peatmoss, and LFS in equal parts. Growing in a south facing windowsill. Watered twice a week.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am more concerned with the black spots on the leaves. N. hamata is notorious for turning black and kicking up it's heals from shipping. I would guess the shipping in your neck of the woods is unkind with the lowland temperatures and travel. I have also had alot of problems with MT plants the past couple years.... plants are small and have internal fungi symptoms. Losses are high. Have you treated with fungicide?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Tony, the spots are actually red. Like the sunspots rafflesiana get due to too much light. The spots came with the plant. Is that alright?
    Cindy

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red spots or blotches, at least in my experience, is most likely due to light levels so you should be fine with that. How's the growth tip doing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cprus, the growth tip is green and firm.
    Cindy

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything sounds great then. It's going to be a very rewarding plant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast