What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

extracted from the jungle!! pics!

a few weeks ago i showed a pic of my unopened jacquelineae x izumae.................well it opened last week and i extracted it from the other Nep vines and Vanilla orchid roots that were holding it captive today at noon..................did i mention i love this hybrid
smile_n_32.gif

23a27e54.jpg

2605e08b.jpg

ce613b3b.jpg

Whoa, that's really shiny and beautiful. Nice job!

-Ben

looks like uppers are coming soon! man that mouth its much bigger compared to the other pitchers. nice plant!
Alex

Indeed a very nice hybrid, I have seen many jacquelineae x izumae but this one takes the cake.

for some reason, i seem to have the oldest one around, not sure why since they are all seed grown according to Rob. its kinda frustrating when 80% of the pics on BobZ's site are of my plant and all the others are of much younger plants
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Aug. 29 2006,4:44)]for some reason, i seem to have the oldest one around, not sure why since they are all seed grown according to Rob. its kinda frustrating when 80% of the pics on BobZ's site are of my plant and all the others are of much younger plants
smile_n_32.gif
I'd be proud if I was you...

Anyway, nice plant, I love it !

lol yeah im very proud of my plant, but truth is its about as easy to grow as ventrata so im not doing much. just would really like to see what its siblings look like and how much variation there is in the hybrid. though mine is changing rapidly from one pitcher to the next as you can see from the last photo

I have always enjoyed your pics of this clone. After seeing that last pitcher, I'll have to add it to my list.

That plant is a keeper! N. jacquelineae is an easy plant, so I bet hybrids will generally be very vigorous. And if they look as good as yours, this will be a very popular hybrid parent!

Capslock

glad you approve Caps and Steve.................im usually drooling over your guys' plants. would like to get ahold of the regular jac. but havent found one for what i can afford to spend

for those interested here is an email exchange between Rob and i when i asked more questions about the hybrid:

Me:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i believe the last time i asked you about this hybrid a year or so ago
you
stated that all were seed grown with none in TC. i have a follow up
question, did you plant the seed over time? ive been looking for
pictures of
others of this hybrid to check out what differences there are between
siblings but all seem to be of much younger plants than mine. anyways,
i
really like this hybrid, its very vigorous and seems to be almost as
hardy
as the x Ventrata and even more so than the bongso that are gowing next
to
it. to bad it didnt make it into TC, this thing could have taken the
place
of 'Miranda' as far as hardy, showy beginners Neps.

Rob:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Fantastic plant Sheridan.

No, the seeds were all sown at the same time (both N. jac and N.
izumiae)
but in two different ways. The first hybrids available came from N. jac
seedlings in the nursery that showed early vigor and were mostly sold
in
error as N. jac. We have another larger crop that are much smaller in
size -
some too small to be quite sure that they are hybrids yet. The reason
they
are way behind the larger plants in circulation has to do with the
methods
we use to get plants in-vitro. We initially sowed hundreds of jars of
N. jac
seed, usually many seeds per jar. We then randomly selected 48
individuals
of varying vigor to multiply up and kept the other seedlings back in
the lab
in case of contamination of any of the selected 48 clones, so we could
have
a replacements if needed. Only when the 48 clones were well into the
multiplication stage did we plant out the spares in the nursery. By
that
time they are much behind the original nursery grown seed as they have
been
rather neglected in the lab by not being reflasked as often as they
should
for optimal growth. It's these plants that form the second wave of
hybrids.
Although they were germinated in-vitro they do not count as tissue
cultured
plants IMO as they are all individual clones and were never multiplied.

It's too early to know if any of the 48 clones will turn out to be this
stunning hybrid. I have one plant in my collection that looks just like
yours except that we have just cut it in two and the pitcher is near
jet
black, as black as any Nepenthes I have ever seen.

and here is the black jac x izumae hybrid he was talking about
Robsjacxizumae.jpg

*all this is reprinted with Robs permission

You do have a nice clone Sheridan ;>

I have a couple still from the originals that came out of the seedling N. jac. I haven't taken any shots lately. They are probably a little smaller since things are just jampacked in my current greenhouse and it's a constant fight for each plant to elbow it's neighbors and put on some size.

T

Man, that's a great plant. I have a pure Jaq, and you can really see the influence.

However, my jacq is TINY compared to your monster!

That is a gotta-get if I ever saw one.....Just one more thing for my near empty greenhouse....

i yhink you guys use terrariums..

i wish, but, you know 'bout my budget
smile_k_ani_32.gif

no terrarium, if i wasnt on dial-up i would post a pic but all it is, is a shelf covered with a couple bucks worth of plastic with the neps sitting in trays with a half inch of LFS in the bottom. the shelves i use are expensive but hardly a requred item, any shelf will do. humidity stays in the 65% range is all. hybrids just make yah look good
smile_n_32.gif

here is a pic of the setup of my basement(soon to change a lil bit to make room for more shelves) my neps are all located under the plastic sheeting on the shelves in more or less the middle. not exactly a high expence setup
smile_n_32.gif

02b74590.jpg

Very nice work Sheridan. I like that clack clone! Very nice. There is way to many nepenthes I have on my wish list!!! Thanks for sharing all the info.

So they start the nepenthes seed invitro too? I might have to try that!! I plan on building a glovebox in the future to try my hands at orchid seeds again. They have to be done invetro.

have to be done that way for TC, dont HAVE to do it that way if yah just want to grow them.

Cool cool. Can nepenthe seed be grown invetro though? Even if they are not going to be TCed? I haven;t had any luck starting nepenthes seed with a normal try method yet. I am 2 for zero.

would imagine so but Rob would be the one to ask. as far as my own luck with nep seeds im 1 for 3

Back