Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes sitting in water

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting... what species are you growing, technoracer?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the cheap dollar 12" hanging pots from dollar general. They have a little reservour on the botom of the pots, but nothing significant. My media is peat/cedar mulch, and some of the pots are peat/perlite. I think I need to repot my amp then because its in a 4 inch pot with no reservour and outside. Its growing some slime mold on top of the media, but the plant is not affected. I just think it might do better being a little wetter. The other plants I have in 6 inch pots with the small reservour on the bottom and haning in the GH also. Almost all my nepenthes have a slight rreservour of water and I water whenever I water the orchids making sure to flush the pots when I water. By doing so I feel it helps pull air down through the roots and since it doesn't hold much water int he reservour then the media doesn;t stay sopping wet. Oh I also topdress the media with LFS or live LFS whatever is available. I think it makes the plant look more presentable and holds in moisture too. So far so good. I haven;t lost anything yet. Although alot of them are new aquires though.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen differences in the amount of water these plants need.
    I do agree with some that lowlanders can handle more water and it's very difficult to kill a bical with too much water (of course, as long as other factors are in fact optimal for the plant). Highlanders, specially those naturally growin on high altitudes, the situation is different.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great info everyone.

This past week I've been keeping to my same technique. I water until it comes out the bottom of the pot into the tray, and then in several days when the water has evaporated, I water again.

The only thing that worries me is that a few of my Neps don't take water up as fast as the others which leaves them sitting in the shallow water for a bit longer than I'd like. It's usually the Neps in the bigger pots, which are planted in shredded orchid bark. Hopefully that potting media is airy enough to keep my plants happy.

On another note, I have a few Neps on the way. Most should arrive on Thursday:

- N. spathulata
    - N. talangensis
    - N. northiana
    - N. singalana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thing only thing i can think of with those LLeopardGGecko is that northiana is kinda picky about where it grows, and what it is potted in. from what i have heard use an all alkaline mix. peat and spaghnum stunts its growth.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. They are fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Sep. 06 2006,4:15)]thing only thing i can think of with those LLeopardGGecko is that northiana is kinda picky about where it grows, and what it is potted in. from what i have heard use an all alkaline mix. peat and spaghnum stunts its growth.
    Alex
    Yeah, I've heard that about N. northiana. Hopefully it'll come potted in the appropriate mix.

JustLikeAPill: What do you mean by "They are fine"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, far too much is made about northiana soil and not enough about northiana environment. It seems to be far pickier on environmental changes than on soil composition. Any normal Nep soil media that doesn't stay too wet will be fine.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast