Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N. hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot pf geckos conversing in this post....

I think I know the company we are talking about and that supposedly works best for his conditions.
    I would think you would almost water daily in that mixture, as it would drain freely.
    If you water less, some of the other mixes suggested would work.
    I have not had this one in a while, but I remember it enjoying a good portion of live sphagnum with a touch of peat and some course ingredients.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thin N. hamata is planted in LFS. It's in a plastic basket to promote drainage - watered daily.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use the tray system for neps. Never have, never will. I water all of mine every day, no matter what. How much water they get depends on how hot it is, etc, but they still get a least a few sprays daily. This hasn't failed me so far at all. I don't understand why some people only water once or twice or whatever a week...there's a reason why that region of the world is called tropical wet. If you take the yearly rainfall, then divide by 365, you get the average daily rainfall, which around the Kuala Lumpur area, is 6.65mm per day. In Sumatra, its about 7.33mm. I realize some people are nervous about root rot...but root rot is like a computer virus...it only happens to you if you're doing something you're not supposed to. Like sitting many species in water all the time. (yes i realize there are a few exceptions...raff, bical, etc)
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phissionkorps,

Couldn't agree more...I find Nepenthes do best for me with in porous media that can be watered every day or two. (I'm growing intermediate/highland plants.)
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I totaly agree. There is no one master mix. You have to taylor the mix to your habits or change your habits ti meet the needs of the plant. You also have to take into consideration your condition. If your heavy handed at watering then a more open mix is called for. If your sparce with watering then a more moisture retentive mix is called for. With conditions if its overcast and cloudy things stay wetter longer, but in tereria the conditions are pretty static so thats a little less variation to deal with.

Now I know these plants are expencive and you don't particularly want to experiment with them. Its just that what is good for one grower doesn;t necisarrily good for another and so there is always a little experimentation needed. Hopefuly the plant addapts to slight veriation from the norm.

Its basicly the same with orchids, what works for me may not nessisarily work for my next door neighbor. All advice should be taken as guidlines.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12