Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I have a very young N. hamata that isn't doing the best right now. It came from a company (that shall remain un-named) that likes to plant its CPs in a shredded bark of some kind. It seems airy enough, but the fact is that it's quite difficult to guess when it has lost its moisture. This makes watering somewhat of a hassle and I'm sure the plant is suffering because I'll often let it go on the dry side to avoid rot.

My big question: What's the best soil mix for N. hamata? I was thinking about purchasing some live LFS and planting it in that, since that's really easy to keep track of when it comes to watering.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my N. hamata, all my neps actually, I use equal parts perlite, peat moss, and LFS.

I think I know the company you are taking about. I have a small nep that I have not repotted yet, and it is in a bark mixture since June with no problems.
    As for watering, everyones situation can be different, but for my indoor plants, where my neps are, I have the same watering schedule. That is to water them twice a week.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I may ask, how do you water your Neps in your terrarium? Do you let the water drain away?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Sep. 09 2006,11:04)]If I may ask, how do you water your Neps in your terrarium? Do you let the water drain away?
    Yes.
    I do not use trays on any of my plants. That is the main reason why my plants get watered twice a week for plants inside. My plants outside get watered every other day. It's more work watering, but I do not mind as I like to look at my plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I see. So the water just drains into the bottom of the tank? That's a big reason why I use trays, because I don't like my tank to look messy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have stone on the bottom of the tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ok. Thanks for the picture to help illustrate.

I just get so frustrated sometimes because I feel like I'll never get Nep watering right. I have hope with my new setup, but I still have my doubts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my little hamata is strait LFS. LFS has never failed me with CP's.

On a side note my tiny Hamata is a trooper. It's been in lowland conditions since I got it and aside from loosing the pitcher it came with, it has a new pitcher open and is blowing up another! So happy it's not dead!
    My life sucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast