What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first nep: ventricosa just arrived

Hey, two days ago I got my first nepenthes! I got it from Sarracenia Northwest and it arrived in awesome condition!
Its really really small tho! It is in an east facing windowsill and I mist it frequently, the temperature in my house is around
60 degrees F.

-I was wondering when/if it will start vining, like 3 years?
-In what month should I start misting it with a 1/4 tsp per gallon orchid/bromiliad fertilizer?

answers appreciated
thanks,
-DJC

3-4 maby five years even. you dont need to fertilize it if you are able to feed it sparingly.
Alex

I got my ventricosa from them also. I did repot them in a larger pot to give them some room. I don't fertilze it, but feed it meal worms. Anyhow the pitchers have already doubled in size so it won't stay that small long.

I spray my plants with dilute orchid fertilizer.

No real schedule, just when I feel like it.

correct me if I'm wrong, the pot is 3 inches I think and arent the root systems for Neps small? Can I repot it when spring comes?
I got orchid fertilizer today and misted it on the plant, I will do that once a month until spring comes and then I will do it every two weeks

is repotting REALLY nessasary?
thanks a bunch
-DJC

If the plant is small, you can leave it. You can repot it whenever you want ; I don't have a certain time of year I repot.

Go easy on the fertilizer and flush flush flush!

My plant started vining after one year. I had to remove it from the terrarium and it continued to about 4 feet before I cut it down. When I got it it was small but i don't know how old it was.

Giving it a bigger pot would probably do more for you getting a bigger plant faster than all the fertilizer you can buy. Most likely the plant is from TC and will grow faster than cuttings or seed grown plants...  provided it has the room to do so.

Steve

Back