What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coconut/coir fiber

i found a brick of this expanding coir fiber. it said all organic. i thought i might ask you guys irst beore i use this.
anybody have success with this?

You mean coco peat? I don't use it but I've heard of people who do.

If it's coir coir, then I don't use it and don't like it
smile.gif

I think he means the brick of compressed coconut fiber.

-Ben

coco peat is the same as coconut fiber. why would you not recomend this?

Coco peat is.. well like peat. Coir fiber is long hair-like strands peeled from the husk of the coconut.

I don't use coco peat because I buy sphagnum peat by the bail.

It's not that I don't reccomend coir fiber, I just don't like it. I don't like the texture and I find it hard to work with as a planting medium. I think it's great to like hanging baskets with, though.

I use it in a mixture with other things. I've recently tried using it to grow seedlings, as it can be soaked in boiling water to sterilise it, and I've found it works very well. Keeps the rate of fungal infection down significantly.

It works well for some people's growing conditions, but not mine (indoors under lights). As is the case with any potting medium, its effectiveness depends greatly on specific growing conditions.

If you decide to use any coco product, make sure you buy horticultural grade, as other types (i.e., used for reptile bedding) contain large quantities of salts.

Back