User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My N. miranda is about to flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed a budding flower spike on it today.

I'll post pics later.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

neofarm  201/501 M.2 Klongthanon Saimai Bangkok Thailand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pity ,from my experience, all 30 Mirandas I grow are male and infertile. Who knows why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Mirandas are always male and infertile. Genetics dealt them a bad hand haha
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, there would seem to be two distinct possibilities as to why N. 'Miranda' is sterile.
    It would appear the sterility could be caused by the hormones use as part of the tc process or used to boost plant growth to get them to market size. I do know of one grower who has succeeded with germinating a hybrid using N. 'Miranda'. The germination rate was extremely low, and the seedlings have yet to reach any appreciable size (they germinated over the summer). Perhaps once our 'Miranda" plants have grown out for a while, they may recover some fertility
    The alternate possiblity is that N. Miranda is a triploid-a mule-or some other polyploid, and with the "genetically correct" other plant (female), and persistance, we get a match up and viable seed.
    Anyone know of any studies on ploidy in Nepenthes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even thought 'Miranda' is a cultivar...could you just redo the cross and get a very similar offspring?
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The exact parentage is proprietary information. Because it is so similar to N. Mixta 'Superba', it may be a select clone from the hybrid of (N. maxima x N. Mixta 'Superba'). When N. 'Miranda' was first put on the market, it was sold as N. maxima, and it is obviously a hybrid. Personally, I see quite a bit of the northiana influence, and would not eliminate the possibility of it being a remake of N. Mixta (maxima x northiana).
    The hybrid could be remade and results would be close enough, if only we really knew the parentage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought it was Mixta x Maxima....or reverse. arent those parents though? somewhere i heard that.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxima x Mixta is the most likely guess. The maxima would be the female, and thus listed first in the hybrid.