What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Veitchii

glider14

Always a newbie
alright how would this baby do indoors in my house? temps are 60-65 in summer and a bit warmer in the winter. humidity in my house is around 50% at all times (except in winter then its lower). i want to know some othe things about it too... how slow is it normally? how big does it get? got any pictures? which would be better for my house, highland form or lowland form?
Thanks
Alex

highland should do alright............prolly want more humidity though for reliable pitchering 75% i would think. my mature plant grows pretty fast, not as fast as Rokko or Ventrata but no slow poke either. new leaf every 4-6 weeks(on my plant that means about 4-6 feet a year when its going good) will post pics tomorrow

alright! now im off to look for one!! would misting it every now and them be helpful? i meant size as in diameter.
Alex

Misting increases RH for like 5 minutes. Don't bother. Put it on a pebble tray.

pebble trays don;t do anything either Clint.  The orchid people have proven that time and time again, but its still used as advice.  Pebble trays are USELESS.  I stopped using them after about a week because they are a pain to keep up.  You have to trap the humidity if you plant on keeping the humidity inreased.

I did not know that! So much crappy horticultural advice floating around that's so old it's taken as fact!

heres my favorite veitchii, doubt you will find it though
smile_n_32.gif
the parent plant was only about 2-3 feet from leaf tip to leaf tip but it had prolly 30 feet of vine or more

427veitchii.jpg

'Highland Stripe' form? wow...if it only stays that wide then i will deffinatly be able to house one...
ALex

yeah they are fairly compact. my eymae x veitchii is almost twice as wide as my veitchii. yep its the highland striped form..........and the nicest one ive come across......to bad i didnt know what i was actually getting when i bought it.....i should have purchased another 5 feet of vine, this thing is a gold mine
smile_n_32.gif

im guessing it vines fairly well? heck you could get cuttings and trade them off for nice stuff!

ive traded off close to 4 feet of vine over the last 2 years
smile_n_32.gif
i got some very cool stuff. when i purchased the original cuting i did not realize that this form of veitchii was that uncommon. unfortunatly last i knew the parent plant was in very poor shape which sucks cause it was almost worth the 12 hour trip just to see it. it took up a nice chunk of space in the greenhouse wrapping around a simulated tree trunk

I do like the N. veitchii highland striped form I don't think it is near as impressive as the N. veitchii Bareo Highland. The striped form for me at least never seems to have pitchers larger then about 6" while the Bareo for me is producing 9" pitchers that are much more tubby. The peristome on the Bareo is the largest I have seen on any Nepenthes for that same size.
2006-9-16_Colo_Sp_Show%20097.jpg

I do grow a male form of the N. veitchii highland striped so it would be a different clone then yours, right rattler.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

i dont remember seeing yours, course i was a bit short on time when i was there. bout the only thing i really remember are the jac and aristo.........those images are burned into my brain
smile_n_32.gif
your right though even on that monster veitchii the pitchers were fairly small. the truncata a ways down had massive ones though
smile_k_ani_32.gif

come to think of it een the eymae x veitchii i have which appears to have a striped veitchii parent has pretty small pitcher to leaf size ratio

that Bareo is pretty cool but if a nep is going to have a plain, large, flaired peristrome i prefer the looks of a black/burgandy/red one.........but thats nothing but personal preferance....i do love my bongso
smile_n_32.gif

Oh god that's nice Jeremiah! The ratio is fantastic, aswell!

Thanks,

Yeah the leaf that the pitcher in attached to is only 4 3/4 inch.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Back