What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow tank better for Hamata?

Would it be better to grow my baby hamata in a grow tank? I have this small plastic critter thing I could use. It is not doing anything by the window. The thing that gots me thinking is my tentaculata is growing like crazy and is starting to produce pitchers but the hamata is not and they come from the same place right? Should I wait (I've it a couple monthgs now) or should I consider moving it to the tank?

i would wait...baby hamata are very picky...but once they start growing... almost noting can stop em!

hamatas will die, or at least hit the self destruct button, if there is ANY drop in humidity (until the are about 6" across, then they can tolerate humidity fluctuation). I have mine in LFS in a pot, which i then placed in one of those plastic death chambers from Lowe's, and packed the space between the pot and the chamber with lots of moist LFS, then stuck the whole thing in a terrarium, so its growing under lights. I think something like that is your best bet if the plant is under 6"

my lil one lives in a pot inside a 1 gal ziplock bag.

My hamatas, which range from tiny to medium in size, live in fairly variable conditions. I think the key is to avoid shock, especially with young TC or coddled plants. Even my tiny ones are thriving in humidity that fluctuates between 50-90%.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Sep. 29 2006,5:14)]hamatas will die, or at least hit the self destruct button, if there is ANY drop in humidity (until the are about 6" across, then they can tolerate humidity fluctuation). I have mine in LFS in a pot, which i then placed in one of those plastic death chambers from Lowe's, and packed the space between the pot and the chamber with lots of moist LFS, then stuck the whole thing in a terrarium, so its growing under lights. I think something like that is your best bet if the plant is under 6"
oh yea? take a look at elgecko's beautiful N. hamata on his windowsill. and he also grows N. raff right next to it. a true lowlander and a true highlander side by side. he also hase N. rajah growing in the same place i believe. ill get a link right now.
Alex

EDIT: Scroll down hamata on the right raff on the left under the ventrata(i think?)
Alex

EDIT EDIT: woops i didnt see the part you said until they are about 6in across. well elgecko still stuns us all with his.
Alex

Mine is still way little. Maybe an inch across. It looks like it's starting to make new leaves and they have a fuzzy tip so I think I will have pitchers soon. I have them by the window. It is cooling down. One guy I talked to said that as it gets cooler they will grow better because it's an ultra-highland. He also said it might be better to put it in a grow tank. I want it to be tough but I also want it to live. It has not died since I got it back in May so I guess I'm past the point to where it would die from being moved. Right? Like I said though all my other neps are pitchering and growing real nice except this. I guess I will be a little more patient and wait a little longer. Hope I don't wait too long though. Now if I could get the predator going.

I'm just quoting from 1) my own experiences, and 2) what I've seen on CP Jungle. I think elgecko's hamata is amazing, especially that it grows so well, but let us not forget, that it is only 1 plant out of all the hamatas in cultivation. As anyone who grows neps knows, what works for you won't necessarily work for anyone else...

Do you have a pic of your hamata and the set-up?

phissionkorps makes a good point about what works for one person..........

JMurphy97,
From what I've read, small N. hamatas do not like humidity fluctuations. I do not know if this is really true or not as my plant was much larger then yours when I got it. It might have been around 5" across.
If my plant was small like yours, I personally would not take any chances and try to have a stable environment till the plant gets larger.
Either I'm very lucky with my growing area or neps are much tougher then many people give them credit for. Most currently grow as windowsill plants, and the ones in the terrarium now will move outside when larger.

Steve: if you ever get cuttings from your windowsil Hamata, look me up cause ill be interested!
smile.gif

Alex

im pretty sure hamata got labled as a difficult plant because young plants are fairly tender. after reading a bunch on ppls plants it seems they become quite hardy once they reach a certain size. ive almost lost my lil guy a couple times but it is going strong now. i dont plan on weaning it out of his ziplock for another 6 months yet though. and once its bigger i dont plan on treating it any different than my other neps as i dont think it will need babying

After a month or two settling in, I find. N. hamata grows fairly quickly. The RH runs 50-60% in the daytime, up to 90+% at night. They seem to do well with bright light and plenty of air movement. Daytime high temp is around 80F, night drops to between 60 and 50F, depending on season.

Back