Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes jamban - introducing a new species

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand all that, and it's definitely not the nurseries of origin that are jacking up prices. If I had the import permits, I'd probably be ordering directly from you, MT, or Wistuba all the time.

It just costs US nurseries too much to import and operate to be able to offer reasonable prices-- at least that's how I imagine it.

I think it is strange, though, that while there are still hamata available from nurseries besides you guys, the price remains high. You just dominate too much of the market! Stop being such a success!
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamatas More picky than This one it sounds like, even then it will be a few years befor the plants are down to the 20-30 dollar price range (unles im mistaken). IT could also be that the other nursry's want to make a profit and find that keeping Certain species prices high is a way to make profit.

I think you should still wait dly brand, its definetaly worth the wait!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I just folded and ordered from overseas. The hamata was pretty cheap, I just had to spend a lot of money at once to fulfill minimum order. No more Nepenthes this year, I don't think!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man oh man. I need to learn to do TC so I can help the prices come down!! Anyone willing to teach me to do TC?? Thats going to be a mission after I get a lab built for orchid seeds. Since I want to TC some orchids too.

DLY you know that plants in TC if shipped in vetro (still in the strile flask) don;t need all the import permits as plants that are out of flask and growing already. Since they are in strile culture they don't need phytosanitary certs all all that jazz. Atleast its like that with orchids. There are just certain ones that are on CITES lists that cannot be shipped regardless. Those need special permits and sometimes those cannot even be shipped. I don't know all the ins and outs yet, but its easier to get a flask shipped than a plant from overseas from what I have been told. They are just smaller and more delicate plants. Then the risk of the flask getting jumbled in transit too.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know any place that sells in vitro except MT, and they only have three species (all common lowlanders, too). The overseas supplier I bought from exports to a distributor here who has all the import permits already, so I didn't have to pay this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JB_OrchidGuy, check out the "kitchen tissue culture kit" for some pointers on TC. If you have some experience working in a lab setting, it should be a piece of cake
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well now we can tell that it stays pretty expensive at around $100

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this thread... is 5 years old.