Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N. rajah & N. villosa

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have seen with many other plants, by no means with nepenthes yet, that they can addapt to different conditions if given time and they are resiliant enough. I have transitioned many plants into FULL GA sun where they were suposed to be houseplants that take little light. Granted some don;t do as well as others, or do not look as good when grown like that. I hope it comes to conclusion that we can slowly transition these highlanders into a more house tempurature where more people can grow them. Somtimes it takes some selective preading of more temperature tolerant plants to get seedlings that can tolerate temperatures different than habitat, but it can be done if someone is willing to take the time to do it.

I hope you prove to have a temperature tolerent plant Rajah. I would love to grow some more of the highlanders. So far the coupole I have are doing ok, but they are still young. I am hoping since they are young they can addapt to the less than optimal conditions.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi to everybody and thanks for your replies

I wanted to add that the unconventional growing condition (I know, very hot for 2 ultra-highlanders like that) in northern Italy lasts every year less than 2 months. Right now day/night temperatures range is 23C/9C. It is interesting to note that the growing rate of the 2 plants didn't slow down during the hot summer season.

kindly

rajah

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting! I want to grow more highlanders, but I have been afraid to spend the money on a plant I may not be able to grow. Since it may take generation to addapt a plant to the warmer conditions.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh:

There are cases of acclimatization of plants from one kind of environment to another. In the case of Nepenthes, i have yet to see a bicalcarata growing outdoors in temperate climate or a villosa growing well in Florida.
    There is a limit to adjusting a particular plant to an environment very different to its original one.
    I have seen cases of pseudo acclimatization (fake acclimatization) where the grower manages to keep the plant alive in hostile environments but it eventually dies anyway.

Again, as i have said it many times before. What's the point to keep a Nep alive if it won't produce pitchers. there is a big difference between surviving and thriving and my guess is that most of us wants our plants to thrive and not just survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I agree with you agustinfranco that's why I renounced to grow lowlanders: My all year round climate is too cool for them.

An exemple: I had a N. ampullaria well, it started pitchering in July and it stopped in the middle of September, too few for a nice looking plant. My Highlanders start pitchering at the beginning of March and they stop at the end of November.

Of course there are exceptions like a N. rafflesiana, a N. mirabilis and a N. truncata they do pitcher very well in my conditions.

kindly

rajah

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am not talking about just keeping it survivine without pitchering. Heck I am against keeping a human alive if they are just surviving and not thriving. I do believe though that with selective breeding and study the plant can addapt to more drastic condition than we give them credit for. Like I said it may take several generations to do it, but it can be done. I had just hoped it coule be done in one, but I ralize that is a long shot.
    JB

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC, N. villosa can take higher temps when younger but not when older. OR it could be visca versa but I know I read it somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12