Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many watts for neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about putting hamata and predator in a 10 gallon tank. How many watts is good enough? What else should I look for in picking the bulbs? How long should they be on for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 18in tube(they fit a 10gal) is barely enough for even a sun hater like D. adelae and live sphagnum moss grows VERY poorly in it. so get 2, 24in double bulb fixtures...that should be enought to really grow anything in there. be sure to put up some foil around it so you get as much light as possible. i will be doing this also soon but with a nep such as N. lowii or ephipatta. to get temps low in the night put in a frozen water bottle. pint size should be enough for a 10 gal.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get the double tube fixtures in the hardware store? I don't want to buy the pet store stuff. How many watts would that turn out to be with the four bulbs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhh. 72? but with the foil that would raise it up to around 80 or so. yes you can buy these fixtures at someplace like home depot.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that the foil would raise it to 80 watts, just increase lumens or something, it just prevents the escape of light. Considering the tank is about a foot long, and the bulbs 2 feet, you are loosing half the light, which only comes to around 40 watts of light if they are the 40 watt bulbs. I'd think some CFs would be much better for a smaller sized tank like a 10 gal.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about putting the tank by the window and the humidifier inside the tank? That way they are still in a controlled environment but getting the natural sunlight? I could also put a strip light above them just for a little extra. Also what about the airflow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Ben said, compact flourescent bulbs would be the way to go with a 10 gallon tank. You can pick up a couple of 23 watt CFs at Home Depot along with a couple of clamp lights. It'll cost you about $25 total and you can turn the 10 gallon on its side so you can sit the clamp lights comfortably on the side panel glass (which would now be the top).

I grew several Neps, a Ceph and numerous sundews in a setup identical to the one I described and they all thrived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Oct. 10 2006,8:22)]What about putting the tank by the window and the humidifier inside the tank? That way they are still in a controlled environment but getting the natural sunlight? I could also put a strip light above them just for a little extra. Also what about the airflow?
    What about that option? What happens when they get too tall though?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast