Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windowsill bical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can take a lot from my experience.

I was running behind this year in bringing in my neps. I wanted to repot them before I brought them under the grow lights. It's been about 1 1/2 weeks since I've brought them in.

Before I brought them in we've had cooler than normal weather for October. We had nights in the 40's and barely 50's. On the nights where it dropped below 40F, I put my neps in the shed I have in my backyard. They were in the shed for 4-5 days straight without light because of how cold it was here.

The bottom line is they survived and didn't show any signs of damage except a few red dots on a couple leaves. They are all still putting out new growth and even had new pitchers. I'm very impressed of the durability of these beauties!
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not too concerned with my venticosa, sanguinea, and "black dragon", but sometimes I feel like I am pressing my luck with this one all the time. I guess so far it has worked.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. bicalcarata most definitely does not like temps down into the 40's F. Now, combine this with the low humidity associated with cold snaps, and you have the perfect formula for a very unhappy bicalcarata. Actually, bicals will tolerate short time frames with nights down into the low fifties F as long as the daytime conditions are bright, humid-above 65% rh., and warm-85-90F.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh ok. Then I'm not too worried about losing it then since it lives on my windowsill, and I don't leave the window open when it is that cold out.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an update, it is now the start of winter and "cold" in my apartment. In the morning when I go out to the pot I see the temp is down in the 50s by the windowsill. Anyhow, the plant is still going. I have a pitcher forming, and a new leaf coming up right now. Now granted, I don't see any grapefruit sized pitchers coming off this plant, but is growing and getting bigger just sitting on my windowsill in a 6" pot of LFS in standing water. So far this experiment is showing that they don't appear to need a terrarium. Let's see how it is doing in January.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much did you pay for your bical? i went out and snagged one at my local nursery today for 15... the pitchers look to be about as big as yours are.

i think i got a good deal...
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that was a good deal Meaven. I paid 15 for one that is TINY compaired to this one. I bought another from a member on the forum and it was still smaller than that one and It was about 15 or so.

Both of mine are int he GH and it gets into the 50's. So far so good for both of my Bicals. They are growing and still putting on size. Not to big yet. I am still waiting.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the bicals are smaller, then tend to do better as windowsill plants. I think it is because there is still more humidity around the plant when it is smaller. But when they get bigger, pitchers are smaller and many times unformed. The ends of the leaves may get wilted too. However, they will grow as houseplants. I've got a few I've been experimenting with. So good for you for trying.

Joel
    http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast