What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys think?

I plan on making a purchase of probalby 2-3 neps.. I was thinking along the line of

Nepenthes tobaica
Nepenthes lowii
Nepenthes diatas

Would they be good highlanders for an intermediate grower?

Any sudgestions, I know that lowii is a little bit moister but does that count as a humidity?

What about N diatas or N tobaica?

I don't know about any of those but I wish you good luck on all of them, especially the N. lowii, because it has the best upper pitchers ever!!!!

All highlanders can be grown as intermediates and do absolutely fine, but they will just grow slower than they would if given optimal conditions. They will be fine, at least in the short term, as intermediate growers. I cannot say if they are still good to go as intermediates after about 1 yr, as that is where my personal experience cuts off.

N. tobaica will do fine in any conditions pretty much. Its got an alt. range of 950 to 2750m.

For all of these, keep your humidity above 70%, trying to go more towards 100% at night.

If you're growing it in a terrarium or greenhouse, lowii should be fine, but I have serious reservations about putting it outside or in a windowsill

Well the place I keep them it gets about mid 60's in the winter and mid 70's in the summer... so its allways very cool, but I dont have much of a temperature fulxuation. I would probably guess its about 40-50%humidty (if that)... and im going to be building a terrium for them. so that should nock it up to about 60-70% humidty?

I grow them under artificial lights and in the basement.

N. diatas may be more temperamental for you in those mild conditions. N. lowii should be ok. N. tobiaca will be a weed in most any conditions!

Well I suspect the lights to add some heat so it will jump hopefully just 5-10 degree's (hopefully not to much other wise ill have to devise a ventilation system.. probalby a small computer fan)

Temperature fluctuation isn't as important as all around preferential temps. Highlanders experience nights in the 50s/60s, and will be absolutely fine if left at those temps indefinitely. The reason they need this is to undergo certain biological processes that can only occur at those lower temps. The reason there is a temp fluctuation is because of the sun being out, blah blah blah. Lights will add probably 10°, so if you're adamant about the fluctuation, that will take care of it

heres what to do!! during the night...put a frozen water bottle in your terrarium!
Alex

frozen water bottles, I am coming to realize, have about the same effect as misting a plant. They do their job...for about 5 minutes. If your terrarium would be in the 70s lets say, it will only take a few hours at best. By a few, I mean about 4

or two....

more bottles will drop the initial temperature lower, but their combined effect on duration of temperature drop is arbitrary, as it will only increase the effect for 15 minutes or so

bottles of ice aint a solution. besides its short term at best. the freezer of Jeremiah's is pretty cool but even it only works for smaller specimens and wont for mature. though with some of the highlanders that would benifit it will work for quite awhile.

ive got a few long term solutions bouncing around in my head but so far i have few species that would benifit and no serious cash to attempt. might have to start playing once i get everything put away from the move. that should only take about a year
smile_n_32.gif

I successfully used ice bottles for about 2 years worth of terrarium growing as most of you know, it can be done, use a fan to blow the air around and use ALOT of water bottle, i hung some i go so depserate, and it worked. About 2 bottles per 5 gallons of your container size I had 8 for a 20 gallon tank, plus a few small ice packs.

dont doubt that it can be done but to my way of thinking its not a good solution but thats prolly because im gone alot, usually just overnight but 3 or 4 days isnt to uncommon. so i can not rely on that sorta system

I got a humidifier that has a fan in it. It cools the area down a bit plus adding the needed humidity at night.

if you guys are looking for a semi-cheap, effective way to cool your terraria, look no further than peltier units. I don't personally use them because when I even attempt to think about electricity and building things, my IQ instantly divides by about 35. Peltier units are relatively cheap, and can cool an insulated 12oz can of, in the case of the experiment, beer, to near freezing in triple digit heat powered on a 9V battery. Let me jury...or jerry...or whatever-rig a picture real quick...

....aaaaaaand done:

TF.JPG

Ok apparently that doesn't work unless you right click and select "view image". Normally I'm a CPUKer...someone is gunna have to explain how to post photos on this thing...the internet is not my strong point
smile_l_32.gif

use [] codes... or just click the IMG button and put in youre URL.

AS for humidifiers and what not Im not going to be able to do that. Im building the terrium off the ground (about 4-5 feet) and it will probably be another 3-4 feet yet) So a humidifier wont be an option...

Im really not that worried about it being to warm... Im worried the lights will make it to hot... so im not worried thanks though. IF any thing I would probably rig 2 or three computer fans up.:cool:

Buy one of those ultrasonic humidifiers from wal-mart with the small ovalish shaped opening, then go to lowes/home depot/whatever, and buy 5 feet or so of plastic tubing, then cram that in the hole, then stick the end of the tubing in your terrarium. That's what I do, since my humidifier has to sit outside my growing area.

Those computer fans though will only work mostly for air movement, and may only cool the enclosure down 2° or so. If you're looking for small, effective cooling, use Peltier units.

TF.JPG

I guess this is a little too late, but I just saw this. There's your image, phissionkorps.

Back