What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow room updates

Some of you have seen my grow room before, so you know I grow on racks, with lights mounted in the racks. Well, it struck me that I should just mount the lights on the ceiling and remove the top racks. I could provide more room that way, and the lights would all combine to make a bright room. I also decided to put mylar right on the walls. Check it out (this is my bad camera. Parents are borrowing the good one):

Growroom5.jpg

Growroom6.jpg

Growroom7.jpg

And here's the latest N. boschiana. This species must be propagated and widely distributed.
N-13.jpg

Capslock

Amazing setup Capslock. Nice changes.

I've always wanted to ask: How many watts total do you use to light that room? And is it all cool white light?

soo....can I throw a sleeping bag on the floor and live in there?

PS: if you ever decide to propagate that boschiana let me know

Now be sure and have your camera ready to catch the faces of the cops when they finally do show up asking what is up with all that light pouring out the window LOL.:p
smile_n_32.gif

Too funny Pyro.

Its starting to look like a jungle in there! Nice work Caps!

Pyro I was thinking the same thing!!! With that room getting warm from the lights your going to be lighting up the cops infrared sensors on the Maryjane hunting choppers. You know they look for the heat of the lights. It shows up as a hot spot in the house. So when it happens don't be alarmed. LOL I would love to be there when it does just so I can laugh in their faces right along with you.

Invasion of privacy if you ask me, but thats another thread. Very nice room you have there too!!!

And no I am not wishing the cops do bust in thinking they found a MJ grow room. I just think it would be funny if they do and find nothing but a dedicated grower of nepenthes. Oh and one more thing. This is just me, but if they came to the door and asked to come in I would say "Nope". Just to see what they do. I know I am bad.
smile_n_32.gif

Sexxxy N. boschiana! Cops never visited my house when I had 4 lights on upstairs and 4 downstairs, nor have they visited the greenhouse.

Thanks guys! So far the plants are happy - I just have to figure out how much window to leave open and where to put fans with the new arrangement. I like to have a lot of air movement.

LLeopardGgecko: Each t5 fixture is about 220 watts. There are three on the ceiling, and another lighting one of the lower shelves. The other lower shelves have regular old 4 tubes of fluorescents. I mix a warm tube with three cool white tubes on pretty much all the fixtures.

Oh, and this is San Francisco. Nobody cares if you're growing MJ here. Hell, half the cops grow their own. Seriously, nobody cares here. (There was a pot store down the street for "medical patients" until it moved recently. With a neon sign!) I would never grow that, though, as that would take room away from growing neps!!!

Capslock

Now why can't the rest of the country be like that.  Anywho.  Very nice grow room  I am thinking about doing something like that in a shed.  Setup with air conditioning and fogers to grow highlanders and ultra-highlanders.  I figure if I can insulate the room enough the Ac's shouldn't need to run to much to keep the temps 80 or below, and just set up another AC to run at night to get the temps down to 65 or so.  Thanks for the Idea of Mylar on the walls too.  That is something I hadn't thought of before.

You have some AWESOME plants growing there. Thanks for sharing!

Shiny! I should do that in my spare room. I don't think the house is humid enough though... I like what you've done, Caps. Are those T5's you're burning in the first pic?
~Joe

I too have a question about the humidity. Is your house naturally humid enough that with all the plants they create a nice balance of moisture in the air? Or do you have a way to raise the humidity? What is the humidity in that room compared to the rest of your house?

Nice plants, by the way.

xvart.

Humidity is provided by the cool pacific breezes. San Francisco is blessed with a fog bank that is usually present. In those brief periods when the wind turns around and we dry out, I run a regular drug-store ultrasonic fogger. This isn't very often, though.

Joe: Yep, T5s all the way!!

Capslock

I'm sure I've asked before, but what are your humidity ranges? I'm now living on the edge of a big, cool greenbelt and it's probably more moist here than in my windy old apartment.
Thanks,
~Joe

My grow room is pretty much always between 50% and 90% humidity. It usually overs between 65% and 80% on normal days.

Capslock

Without a doubt, the nicest N. boschiana I've ever seen. Great work!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 18 2006,6:59)]Yep, T5s all the way!!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wow T-5's are $$, course I have a Maui Orchidarium and that's $$ too.... Ima go T-5 as soon as I get some $$, maybe tax-return time
cool.gif

Awesome set-up!! I used to reside in SF too, great city, CP's everywhere
smile.gif

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of it?

How's your newest N. ampularia doing? Did it adjust well to the lower humidity? What temperatures do you deal with during the cooler months of the year?

The newest amp is my N. amp 'giant red', and it's doing great! A couple leaves and pitchers dried up, but it's inflated new pitchers, some ground/basal pitchers, and acts like it's happy.

Right now my night temps are upper 50s, and daytime hits about 80 or slightly less. I expect those to go down a few degrees as winter progresses. I'd like nighttime temps down to the low 50s. Humidity is generally 50-90%.

Capslock

Back