What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there some nepenthes in Bali/Lombok?

Hi all

Are there some nepenthes in Bali/Lombok?

Some orchid fanatic traveller told me, that there are no (he didn't found any, whatever this means..), but I cannot believe this. As we travel around this place soon I will have a closer look  an check this places.  

In this region of Southeast Asia are nepenthes everywhere I remember... Anybody knows some places to see?

Thanks

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Well, you would have to look in suitable habitat - if there isn't any suitable place for them to live, they might not be there.

However, they do tend to be fairly adaptable, so if I was going to go looking, I would head to the most undisturbed places I could find.

Well then, i'll have a close look...

Thanks schloaty

Hi,
Charles Clarke lists only two Neps (mirabilis and gymnamphora) as being found in Java, and speculates that in the region east of mid-Java the climate is too seasonal for them. From his 'Nepenthes of Sumatra':

[b said:
Quote[/b] ].....it seems remarkable that Java has so few species (and that Bali and Nusa Tenggara have none)......

So by all means look, but don't be too upset if you don't find any
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
T.

Back