Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How cool is too cool for lowland/

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had the gh through a winter yet but we have been down in the 20'sF. at night and it maintains in the 70'sF. or wherever I set the thermostat. I can't say for sure of when the real cold sets in which will be in the -10'sF. So far so good though. Humidity has not been an issue.
    I think I may try truncata. I guess we'll see.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well gus, I have Two bicals, Amp, and albo so we shall see if they make it over the winter. The Amp I know will be fine I moved it into a terreium, but the bicals, and albo are still out int he GH and the albo looks to be starting to inflate pitchers again. I think they will do fine though, because even though the temps are 55 to 60 at night, it is nothing for the GH to reach 90+ on a sunny days in the winter. The exhaust fan routinely comes on and goes off during the winter. So all I can say is I will see with the rest of my collection how they fair over winter, but so far so good.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JB OrchidGuy:

I have had lowlanders surviving cold temperatures for 1 winter but not 2.
    So even if typical lowlanders survive the first winter, they may not be so lucky the second winter.
    We always assume that the heat during the day may help these cope with low night time temperatures, but we seem to forget that other factors are also needed for successful survival attempts in the greenhouse under suboptimal conditions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume that many of these lowlanders grow in the same areas that many of my orchids grow in. If they decline and I kill them then so be it. I don't want it to happen, but I am growing more than just one species in my GH. I have some orchids that need to be chilled to flower. The temps in the GH do not get much below 60. I would assume on a cold night it could get colder, but not to much.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12