What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small neps?

I'm wondering what neps are small easygrowing highlanders, I want them small because I would like to grow them in a 55 gallon terrarium.

However I would like to know what kinds of neps are large showy and easy growing for outside?

um...easy ones? you could try N. campanulata. its not very common but it should do well. ampullaria(as long as it is trimmed back) ventricosa, sanguinea..they will all do good. i have a TC mutant nep that stays REALLY small in case you wanted to trade. the plant barely gets 5 inches across!!
Alex

N. ampullaria isn't a highlander.

hes looking for highlanders...it doesnt mean he will be able to get low temps for them.
Dave: highlanders are hard to up keep. true highlanders(which is what i think you are talking about) that is. JLAP has a highland take so he would be better to ask.
Alex

N. tentucata
N. vieillardii
N. muluensis
N. ventricosa

They are all pretty easy small growers in a highland tank. (or so they have been for me)

well my tank is funky...it gets to about 65* or so at night and stays at 70-75 in the day with ~70% humidity. what neps could i grow in here?
Alex

Nope. Only lowlanders here.

It's easy to heat, not so to cool.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 30 2006,9:15)]well my tank is funky...it gets to about 65* or so at night and stays at 70-75 in the day with ~70% humidity. what neps could i grow in here?
Alex
A good portion of highlanders and all the intermediates.

awesome. well i guess i have a highlander tank then
smile.gif

Alex

It is easy to cool a terreium if you have the money to get one setup.  
smile_n_32.gif
 I have a pictures of a tank designed by someone else.  It would just cost a pretty penny to set it up.

Well I'll see if can pull this back on topic.

Real quick. N. campanulata is a lowlander and N. truncata gets huge so I'd scrap them for your highland tank purposes. Though truncata would probably be okay outdoors there in FL, at least during the summer.

Good, easy, small(er) highlanders would be:

N. vieillardii
N. ventricosa
N. inermis
N. gymnamphoria

If you want something a little more difficult and that can reach bigger sizes then you can consider:

N. hamata
N. aristolochioides
N. glabrata
N. diata

and basically any of the others as younger plants or if you are willing to cut off the vines and just grow the basal rosettes.

How hard is it to find N. inermis?

Should be fairly easy if you check with the major Nep dealers. And sometime people have vines available

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N. campanulata is a lowlander
it was said somewhere that it grows better as an intermediate than as a lowlander.

How do you grow intermediates?

What kinds of intermediates are there?

Does Nepenthes lowii get big? Is it easy to grow?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Oct. 31 2006,2:56)]How do you grow intermediates?

What kinds of intermediates are there?

Does Nepenthes lowii get big? Is it easy to grow?
#1: if your a lil to warm for highlanders(nights in the high 60's or 70's) and a lil cool for lowlanders(days in the 70's-80's) your about perfect for intermediates

#2 all kinds. N. bongso is a perfect example. alot of hybrids are intermediates

#3 not sure on how big but it grows slooooooooooowly.

#4 good question, i havent had any luck with it but i am growing ephippiata without to many problems. ive heard other ppl say lowii is much easier than ephippiata. depends on the grower i guess.

They don't call it N. slowii for nothin'!

Auctually I think i'm the only one who says that....

I grow all neps as intermediates, except petiolata and pasian highland truncata, which experience extremely high temps in the summer, then no temp drop at all, then a season of extremely low temps, and they do fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Oct. 31 2006,4:56)]Does Nepenthes lowii get big? Is it easy to grow?
N. lowii can get big but it takes a real long time to do it (as everyone has pointed out, it is real slow.) And Clint, I call it slowii too
smile.gif

As rattler mentioned, ease of growth is going to be different for different people. I have no trouble growing lowii so long as I don't expect too much from it (like more than 1 pitcher in a 6 month period.) If you are willing to over look the slow nature then give it a try. If you want something that grows faster than a turtle on barbituates stampeeding through molasses then I suggest you look else where
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Nov. 01 2006,7:57)]If you want something that grows faster than a turtle on barbituates stampeeding through molasses then I suggest you look else where
smile.gif
Omg lmao, thanks for starting my day out right lmao!

Back