What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

forming pitchers

I'm fairly new to growing neps and was wondering about how long it should take for a nep to produce pitchers( in this case N. 'Miranda')
I've seen the tendrils slightly curl near the pitcher 'fetis' and then nothing seems to happen. I was just wondering how long it normally takes.

Depends on the species, as some grow faster than others. After production of a new leaf, the tendril must grow out to a length dependant on the species/hybrid, and the size of said leaf. After that, development of the pitcher itself will begin. I've never actually timed this, but from a fully opened new leaf with no tendril extension, to an open pitcher, I'd say 2-3 weeks

My 'Miranda' takes at least 4-6 weeks to go from a newly unfurled leaf to a pitcher bearing leaf.

Then if you have a species like my Truncata it seems to be in suspended animation and only so very slowly puting on size to the new inflating pitcher. It seems like it has been there for over a month and a half now! I just applied some slow selease fertilizer and I am hoping it will speed up now. LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Nov. 03 2006,7:15)]I've seen the tendrils slightly curl near the pitcher 'fetis' and then nothing seems to happen. I was just wondering how long it normally takes.
Once the tendrils start to curl upwards they should start to inflate as well.. problems could be humidity or temp too low

so there's nothing to worry about
smile.gif
........right?!?

If the tendrils turn upwards, then stop growing, then there is something to worry about. Probly too low temp or humidity..

My miranda pitchers only during the spring and summer when I can keep it outside in high heat and humidity. If yours is growing inside as a windowsill plant, humidity is probably too low for pitchers to form. Keeping the soil moist might help this, but really you need the whole plant to be kept humid.

the pitcher seems to be getting slowly bigger! about 4/5 of an inch!

i have a pitcher like that size oon my bical and slowly awaiting it to open

Going on to 2 inches and the very bottom is starting to color up! Woot Woot!

:banana2: :boogie: :banana2:

on all the neps i have had (which isnt many) when one is going to make a pitcher you can tell before the leaf even unfolds all the way.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wb.sherren/other photos/n. hamata1.jpg
do you see the 2 pitchers that are forming? when the "proto-pitcher" turns upward before9or after) the leaf unrolls then you will probably get a pitcher 90% of the time if not 100%. if the tendril and p-p dosent curve then it probably wont make one(from what i have seen) you see a curve? you get a pitcher!!
Alex

Then if you have a species like my Truncata it seems to be in suspended animation and only so very slowly puting on size to the new inflating pitcher. It seems like it has been there for over a month and a half now! I just applied some slow selease fertilizer and I am hoping it will speed up now. LOL

same problem here. im just gonna let it work its own kinks out. maybe repot to something other then LFS in the spring

Well My truncata is planted in straight peat and doing fine. Dave how long have you had your miranda? I find that nepenthes take a while to aclimate to the new environment. I have some nepenthes that I purchased a few months ago that are just now starting to settle in and grow new leaves and pitchers. You can influence pitcher production a little bit with a few tricks. These are from my observations and nto scientific, but if you give the tendral something to curl around you will get inflation faster once the tendral wrapps around the object. Note that the object can be another tendral too. Of course some species are more apt than others to do this. My N. ventrata is now vining and the new leaves will not produce a pitcher if the tendral is not wrapped around something. You have to remember that these are vining plants and want to grow up. So if the plant senses it is not secure it will hold off producing a pitcher untill it has found something to support itself on. So you can shorten the tendrals to some extent if you give the pitcher portion something to rest on and it will start to inflate. Again this is not gospel and just a few tricks I have learned and may not work for you or on every species. you just need to think liek the plant. It has a goal to grow UP and the heavy pitchers are counter productive to growing up unless that heavy pitcher is supported by the tendral wrapping around something. Since the plant doesn;t have any eyes another tendral works nicely sometimes. Or in my case where I grow the majority of my nepenthes in hanging pots or baskets the hangers make great objects to let the tendral wrap around.

how long would a ventrata take to pitcher?? I am making an attempt at raising the humidity to 60% compared to my earlier method of JUST LEAVING IT OUT at like 30-40%. So far it didn't pitcher...when can I expect it to show effect??

cheers,

vraev

Back