Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nepenthes growth experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

As some of you may know, I'm still an undergrad . Seeing as I love CPs, and I need to do something to kind of "get my name out there" so I can get into med school (haha), I was considering doing an experiment, and subsequently writing a paper on the effect of GA3 on Nepenthes seeds and their subsequent growth rate, as I have recently gotten my hands on a lot of seeds of a certain hybrid. I have done some preliminary "trials" I guess you could say, and have some evidence, though not so definite, yet, to believe that GA3, in high concentrations, can have a rather stark impact on nep growth rate. I plan on continuing this study for about 6-8 months. So far, I haven't seen anything online showing that anyone has done what I am thinking about doing.

My question is, would this be of something of interest to the community, or would I just kind of be wasting my time?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Ron
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even though I haven't personally tried to grow Nepenthes from seed, I would still be interested(as I currently am).

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it might be of some interest because GA3 is often used in the CP hobby.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...I decided I'd go ahead and do it anyway. Like I said, I have some slight, though not totally compelling evidence as to its effect. I love science...if I don't carry through with the experiment, its going to bother me until I do

Good thing I started it the day I first posted about it, huh? haha
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find it has a good growth rate up to a certain extent. This type of experiment has been done before, but of course it could not be constituted as scientific. There was no control. When this guy put GA3 into a new pitcher the susiquant leaf grew drasticly larger, but the pitcher didin't form properly IIRC. I would love to see your results and do not let what I said discorage it. Since it would be great to know if a low dose of GA3 could be used to expidite a plant to a larger size where it will grow fast on its own. It would also be nice to know if it aids in seed germination.

I think you will find though that each species would be different and that it will only be effective to a sertain strength and you might be able to OD the plants on it too.

I am sure you know, but be careful with this hormone.
    Goodluck and please share your findings with us!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JB_OrchidGuy...

"that guy" was me
    It was on an albomarginata...I posted it over the summer on CPUK. And yes, that high of a conc of GA3 was wayyy too high, as the leaves on said plant are still large, but pitchers still do not form correctly

I have a better approach this time, with a few different concentrations, which will only be used as a foliar spray...HOPEFULLY something good happens
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid