Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched over to R/O water. I get it for only 39 cents a gallon.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I'm getting my GH and KH confused, GH is only magnesium and calcium (the bulk of which is calcium). Your 75 ppm level does not include all the other disolved elements like iron, phosphate, nitrogen, potassium, etc.

In other words, your GH might be 75 ppm but your TDS could be 200. I use RO water. An RO filter is an investment that will pay for its self in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use RO-demineralized water. I check the pH of drainage water regularly. I adjust the pH using phosphoric acid to the pH of 4.5-5.5 if needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I'd like to know where I could get R/O water at that cheap. I'm stuck buying water at the grocery store and it's over a $1 per gallon jug.

As for the "other solids", would a Britta help on that front with its charcoal filter?

I do have a nep I am willing to experiment on, it is a plant from Lowe's which I can always run back over and grab another for a few bucks. How long would it take to show signs of distress from the water?
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walmart has distilled and other waters for 50 cents a gallon.

I have been using my tap water for my nepenthes straight out the hose when I water my orchids. So far everything is growing and everything is pitchering. I have been using it for almost a year now. I will be switching back to rain water once I put up more collection barrels and get a pump to run a hose with it, but at the moment it is too time consuming to take down all the nepenthes off the hanging bars to water unless I am just watering one or two plants that are drying. I have not seen any ill effect from the chlorine on the live sphag or nepenthes yet. Now I hope I did not just shoot myself in the foot by claiming this, but so far so good. I think the biggest thing is to run copious amounts of water through the pot to leach it of any mineral buildup.

As far as the Brita filter goes. I have been told that just removes the chlorine and makes it taste better. I don;t think it remove the iron and stuff.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey CP,

The great thing about Atlanta tap os that it can be used to water CPs I have been doing that for the last 6 years and all my plants have been fine. ANd ABG uses tap too So just use the tap it'll make your life easier.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, son of a gun. I always wondered how they managed to water all those plants with "pure" water.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was glad to learn that not long after moving here. My collection would be significantlly smaller if I were still having to buy distilled by the gallon. I dread the day I have to move away from here...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast