Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: auxins and cytokinins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did just find a cheap source though, where I can get what I need for less than $10, so that will be a last resort. If i can get 90%+ pure GA3 dissolved in some random alcohol for free...i can probably get this for free as well
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can come up with some really interesting results when playing with plant hormones.

However, I need to give my standard fare:

Do not futz with hormones. Take all neccessary precautions when handling hormones; that means equipment AND knowledge. Plant hormones can lead to some pretty nast stuff: rapid cell division/elongation is NOT something you want for yourself, so stay protected. Agent * (Agent Orange, for example) is a synthetic based off of observations of plant hormones.

Knowledge is power, but it goes both ways: The lack of knowledge is also a grand weakness, so be sure to know what you're getting yourself in to.

I'm not pointing fingers, I just want to make sure that someone doesn't run in to this haphazardly. Keep safe, and keep us posted with your results.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I know, I have many years experience of dealing with hazardous substances, many worse than these hormones
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have added that caution too. Labs are much safer places now that professors have to answer to campus health & safety offices, but always read and follow the directions and be careful.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Oh I know, I have many years experience of dealing with hazardous substances, many worse than these hormones
    Like I said, not pointing fingers, just a general reminder to all parties involved. Nobody is completely immune to oversight, and this may help people with less experience understand that it's something you need to learn about before playing with.

-edit- OK, so you've piqued my curiousity. Got any good hazardous materials stories for us? lol
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Est, I totally agree. Personally, I know what I'm doing, but some people reading this may not, and even with myself, though I know how to properly handle these things, you can never, ever, be too safe.

But yeahhhhh....I've shattered a large distillation apparatus that contained such great substances as 85% HCl, and got about a step away from making chlorine gas. I've also thrown a large chunk of pure sodium and pure potassium in a pond at the school i went to my freshman year...
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HCl & metalic Na are dangerous things, but generally cause their damage and you heal. Hormones are different. As EST said, starting rapid cell growth is something we generally want to avoid in ourselves, so be careful. 2,4-d (one of those Agent Orange components) is either a cytokinin or auxin (I forget which) and is a suspected carcinogen. If it weren't so cheap and effective, the EPA might have banned it by now.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What nepenthes are you gonna test this on?

Uhhg chemistry Im failing that class!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast