What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting Back A Nepenthes

I read somewhere that these are vining type plants, So could you cut the top off of it without it dying if gets too big?
I need to trim mine because it constantly gets hit by the door everytime I open the Vivarium.
Thanks,
Andy

Yup, cut it back as much as you want; it'll come back from the nodes (space between leaf and stem). Just make sure you don't cut it all the way back.

-Ben

And you can root the cuttings and get new plants for trading.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Nov. 11 2006,3:40)]And you can root the cuttings and get new plants for trading.
How far up the vine do people around the forums usually make their cuttings for trading? I know that sometimes people do multiple cuttings at a time which would mean they are longer and cut back to shorter plants for regrowth.

xvart.

A cutting with two or three exposed nodes (plus an extra node at the base of the cutting near where it will be rooted) seems to be the rule of thumb. I believe I've also read that cuttings from low on a tall vine should usually be a little longer than normal. Check out the part on propagation on David Parks' Nep FAQ, hosted by Barry Rice's CP FAQ.
~Joe

Ive seen people successfully make 1 node cuttings...but personally, I believe (though possibly unfounded) that they have a wayyyy lower survival rate, and with some of the neps I grow, I wouldn't risk it (theyre expensive)

Back