What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what neps would be best for Houston's climate?

I'd like to give my mother a nep that she can keep outside. It can either go in a pot in the ground, or as a hanging plant. Houston's monthly rainfall is between 3 and 5.5 inches, and its temperature range throughout the year is about 40 to 97, though of course some days are a little colder, and some are a little hotter. Are there any neps (including hybrids of course) that can withstand these conditions?

Whoa, that's a pretty big spread of temps, 97 being kinda brutal for any Neps I'm familiar with.. could she grow it as a hanging windowsill plant?
I'd suggest Sarr's for outside in that environment.
I think maybe Miranda's might be a good hybrid who get quite big and are readilly available at a large size.
Maybe something like Red Leopard? 97 is probly too hot for it tho.
Ventrata seems to be a bomb-proof hybrid that's readilt available at a good size and pretty cheap too.
Anybody else have some ideas?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (quogue @ Nov. 17 2006,1:04)]Ventrata seems to be a bomb-proof hybrid that's readilt available at a good size and pretty cheap too.
Agreed.

i dont know if 97 would be too bad though, if the nep was naturally slowed acclimated to it. I kept Pasian highland truncata and petiolata outside this summer in Lubbock, with every day being triple digits and humidity lower than 30% for a month or two with no ill effects.

Thanks for the suggestions guys..if anyone else has any, lets hear em.

I might give her a ventrata AND a sarracenia...or a miranda, as mine isn't doing anything

97 probly isn't too bad for Lowlanders and tolerant hybrids, but I can be a chicken with my precious Neps...
& come to think of it, that was around the high temp for my Lowland tank this summer... duh on me
My Ventricosa Red is pretty much indestructable too..
A Raffle might be down with those conditions, provided it's taken inside for the winter

Have you looked at Neps Around the House? That's the place to go for outdoor Nep culture tips. I bet there are plenty of plants you can grow outdoors, if you acclimate them first.
~Joe

Hmm...I might just sink a lowland pot into the ground and tell her to dig it up and bring it inside in the winter. I don't houstons humidity ever goes below 50, and in the summer its usually around 85% or so, so i'm sure a lowlander could work

Back