What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this Truncata highland or lowland

I got this truncata a could months back from here and I'm not sure if it is a highland or lowland. They say on the website it's highland but I've seen pics of one like this as a lowland. I've also seen pics of highlands that look different. I'm trying to find out so I could have a better understanding if I should but it in with my highlands in the tank or if I should leave it out. It's pitchering out by my window but the last two pitchers died off.

Sarracenia NW only deals in Neps that they feel make appropriate houseplants... I highly doubt you would have recieved a lowland truncata, as these are too demanding for Sarracenia NW's target customer. The only truncatas I've ever seen them sell on their website have been highlanders, so I'd be willing to bet yours is too.
~Joe

Its a lowland N. truncata for that price. JMurphy, also please remove your link to cobraplants website, linking to competitors is in the participation guidlines still.

Thanks

Dave-
If it's cheap, it's lowland, if it's expensive, it's highland
smile.gif

I meant why should he remove his link form cobraplants?

But thanks anyway JLAP

Because this site sells cp's, so posting other websites is like biting the hand that feeds.

It would be like working for Coca Cola and drinking Pepsi with your lunch lol.

what if you just look at their gallery and stuff?

you know kinda like the food channel, when your mom's cooking?

-It looks really good but you & your mom know that you're not getting any, so it's ok

Its in the rules, been that way since day one of this site's creation and it hasn't changed yet.

I just put the link so that everyone could see the plant. I know it was cheap only like $21 but how much would it be if it was a highland? How would you tell if it was a highland besides the price?

email them....but they dont open until like November 26th or somthing like that
Alex

Dustin, since Borneo Exotics is the only source of highland truncata, we know the wholesale prices and cost probably wouldn't be a factor in determining lowland or highland. If the vendor is sellling them as highland, then you probably have a highland truncata.  It wouldn't hurt to ASK the vendor.  Highland truncata is slightly different from lowland, it's more hirsute and the lid is smaller and more open, almost veitchii like.  Since these traits will emerge as adult plants, you probably can't tell by just looking at one pitcher on a small plant.
The highland forms are also more colorful, but others can be just as green as the lowland form.  The extremely dark colors are only a small percentage of the highland form.  There is the black highland form, that we've only seen photos of from Borneo Exotics, Tony Paroubek, and Yamada san in Japan.

Exotica Plants in Australia has been breeding lowland truncata favoring rich colors. We've never seen such wonderful color forms before. Here is a pic of three pitchers on three different seedlings (plants in the pics aren't for sale). Again, these are lowland.

PICT1185.jpg

Not all of the seedlings are this colorful. Only a small percentage are showing deep red.
PICT1156.jpg

Here's another red lowland truncata greenhouse bred by Exotica Plants
PICT0991.jpg

Back