What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackdragon "guided growth"?

i got my black dragon about 2 weeks ago, it looks kinda bad, but its recovering.

the only problem i see is one of the leaves is growing STRAIGHT UP, making it so i gotta position the rest of the plant further from my lights, god forbid when the pitcher begins to pop out.

is there any way to "guide" the leaf downwards, witha weight or something? or is this impossible now that its pretty much fully developed?

Meavan, my blackdragon had some leaves growing in weird directions, and usually when I get a nep they have the same growth pattern until they grow their first new leaf. The only other thing I can think of is that my other neps such as the my sanguinea always have a new leaf pointing straight up as it develops and as it matures it lays back down... could that be what you are seeing?

nah, its fully developed with a half-developed pitcher on the end

picture? i think Black dragon has Truncata in its parentage. its leaves are large and blunt and dont droop like other neps do.
Alex

My black dragon is not doing that and the pitcher look like they are too skinny to have truncata in it, but heck I got so many new ones lately I forgot what the leaves look like. It should start to lay down as the next leaf emerges. Let it grow and stop turning the plant unless it is to move it from hurting itself. It will straighten itself out, but if you keep moving it will keep putting growth out in aoo sorts of dirrections. A picture would help too.

This is happening to me, too. I assumed it was because of the way it was packaged bare-root and in the plastic bag which forced one of the newer leaves to harden straight up. This particular leaf has just now started a pitcher, so I don't know if the weight will start to sag the leaf down some. I also thought about weighting it somehow for a little while, but decided that (unless someone says otherwise) I would just let it do it's thing. I am not expecting much from mine yet because it has had quite a shock since it was delivered while I was out of town...

xvart.

here ya go. i doubt theres much i can do.

Black.jpg

woah!
tounge.gif

Wow. That is wild. That is much more "guided" than mine. Good looking pitcher, though... lol. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

xvart.

OMG it's trying to get out!!

Capslock

Looks like snug shipping to me. Are you sure it didn't arrive with that leaf already on there?
Nothing to worry about anyway. Leave it be if not dying.

yeah it got that way in shipping. good news is that pitcher is sitting directly between two flourescent bulbs. best case i'll see my black dragon turn black sooner, worst case the pitcher will die and i wont feel too bad about grooming it off

Any update on how the pitcher is doing?

xvart.

chopped off, with no ill effect on the plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Dec. 17 2006,1:24)]chopped off, with no ill effect on the plant.
Did you chop it off because it was getting burned by the lights or because it was inconvienent?

xvart.

inconveniant. as much as i would have loved to keep the leaf, it was messing the whole setup of my then tiny terrarium, and to be honest i like neat-looking neps. considering that one leaf was headed straight up, and new leaves that developed in the direction would be messed up as well. its just better this way and i swear, the plant shrugged it off like nothing happened.

BlackDragon.jpg

I see what you're saying. Your 'black dragon' is looking nice. Mine is finally starting to grow pitchers and I am excited to see them as they grow.

xvart.

Back