Thread: Jumped on the nepenthes addiction train

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hey guys,

lol! I did it guys..I finally found a place that sold neps and bought this one. There were two good ones and I finally decided on going for a little younger plant with smaller but healthier pitchers.

here are pics::

They are underneath my dressing "undercabinet fixture". Is this enough light for them I can't find how to hang it near my window.

What do u think comparing to the earlier one? The leaves are a little pale...but they look stiff and healthy. There are also 2 neat pitchers in the moss. looks real cool.

Now please give me some care info ... I am used to vft's. I just sprayed the plant with distilled water + then watered it with 250 ml of distilled water.

cheers,

vraev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very healthy plant of Deroosa's N. Ventrata (alata x ventricosa). They have been selling these plants for the past 20 something years labelled as N. alata. Very durable and easy to grow Nepenthes. I would deffinately find a nice Western or Southern exposure as the light you have it under is most likely quite insufficient for the plants' needs.

Aside from the bright light requirement. I wouldn't be overly concerned with misting N. Ventrata. Once acclimated they can deal with humidity fluctuations. Water well and allow to dry slightly before watering again.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks tony. Now I got to figure out how to hang it somewhere .....darn the light requirement lol!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait till your spending 60 bucks a pop on plants Then yoiu graduate to more and more. GL on your plant. It looks nice. I have cuttings of this plant I have had trouble giving away though! LOL they are nice and durable and my first one also.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow...sounds like it is a really good "NEWBIE" nepenthes. I guess I have the water needed..i.e., distilled for now and SNOW metled water when snow starts this winter. I have ants for the plant from the mac atrium lol! I guess light is the only issue here. Since I do consider leaving this plant in a hanging basket...I wonder how to get it enough light.

BTW...if you guys ever wonder where my VFT terrarium is and where the plant is right now....here is a panaromic pic I made in photoshop with 4 pics from my crappy 0.3 MP cell phone camera.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4537/roomxv1.jpg

Would love to hear suggestions on where to put the plant. Please note that this building is at an angle....so the window on the left gets actually less "shaded light" as well. Comparitively ..the right one is atleast better....nice "bright enough" shade in summer when I don't need the lights to be on in the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats!! Ventrata was my first Nep.... but now its just a single cutting. from root rot after it got its roots torn of by a storm over the summer. no matter how common it is... its still such a pretty hybrid...it lookslike its vining...if you get flowers they will be sterile so dont get your hopes up.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliments glider. lol! all of you guys have convinced me to switch over to the neps which is probably the obsession of 60% of the entire professional CP community atleast in my opinion. And I can see why...this plant is soo genius....The shape of the pitchers...the intricate art of nature. can you believe that there are 2 full grown pitchers sitting "half IN" in the potting peat + sphagnum. It looks wicked...half full with liquid and all....I know probably the manufactur put those in the sphagnum but...there is actually a small new pitcher forming in there as well....looks sooo naturalistic. very very cool. I love the plant. lol! hopefully if this guy sticks with me well....I might get a ticket for buying more neps later next summer

well..I know that the plant has grown for the most part at the manufacturer who has obviously great conditions for cps. The nursery for the most part has better conditions than any other regular store like home depot or walmart as they use stagnated water i.e. non chlorine water for all plants.

I think the problem starts with me considering the plant only has this single stress of me bringing it to a new environment for it.

i misted the plant 2 times already and water it as I said before...i put the terrarium humidity guage there and it said the humidity is around 55%. Is that ok

I guess I have to keep this guy this way atleast till I make a stand or something to put him near he window.

lol! glider...I wasn't even expecting flowers. I actually prefer it doesn't flower and uses all its energy for growing more leaves and pitchers.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vraev @ Nov. 19 2006,10:49)]i misted the plant 2 times already and water it as I said before...i put the terrarium humidity guage there and it said the humidity is around 55%. Is that ok
    55% humidity should be fine. I only provide mine with about 45 to 50% humidity and it pitchers well. As for the light and the hanging basket - I would just use the hanging basket like a normal pot until you can fix something up. Maybe move your fan and just set the hanging basket on that little shelf area. What direction does your window face?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast